oil weights for supercharged vehicles

blown96bird

I am thinking about changing the oil I use in the summer time to mobil one synthitic 15w50. The reason why is when running 10-30 its as thin as water. The new shelby gt500 and the ford GT use 15w 50 synthitic. I would be kinda of scared to run this in the winter time. I might use 10-40 in the winter time and the 15w 50 in the summer time. There must be some reason why ford uses this in the new supercharged vehicles. What would be the down side to doing this?

they actually use 5w50, not the 15w50. i run castrol syntec 5w50 during the colder months as well on my sc and 15w50 during the warmer months.

that would work awesome, I only switch back to 10w30 cause the car barely breaks 180F in the winter here, as opposed to summer when it damn near reaches 220F.

Just a thought

oil

My SC calls for 5w 30w 100000 miles no problem. Why would you use a 50 w oil? I think it would give poor lubrication just my 2 cents

stick a "stephescope" near the main caps before and after putting 50 weight in. The oil topic has been done to death, people who use 30 weight and rip around either have a tight bottom end, or no long term plans for the motor.

It All Depends On The Miles

THE 5-30 ON A HIGH MILEAGE CAR IS BAD :( AS THE MAIN BEARINGS HAVE BEEN WORN OVER THE YEARS :eek: 10 -30 IS BETTER I USE 15-40 ROYAL PURPLE ALL YEAR I LIVE IN PENNA :eek: THE MYTH ABOUT 5-30 IS IT GETS BETTER GAS MILEAGE:p BUT THE MAINS ARE WORN AWAY OVER THE YEARS :mad: IN FACT THE OILS ARE NOT DOING THE JOB THEY SHOULD BECAUSE THE EPA IS HAVING THE WEAR PRODUCT REMOVED:mad: ZINK AND PHROUPURS REMOVED :eek: ONLY DESIEL OIL AND SOME HIGH PERFORAMCE RACE OILS HAVE THEM :) IF THE OIL HAS A SUNBURST LABEL ON THE FRONT A ROUND CIRCLE WTIH POINTS ON THE EDGE ABOUT THE SZE OF A QUARTER :) IT IS NO GOOD FOR WEAR :( DESIEL OIL WILL STILL HAVE IT AS WELL AS MOST 15-40 WEIGHT OIL BE CAUSE THAT,S WHAT DESIELS RUN :rolleyes: THE " HOT ROD MAG " 3 MONTHS AGO HAD 6 PAGES WARNING ABOT THIS AND THE BRANDS TO USE IN FACT FLAT TAPPET CAMS WITH BURN UP USING THIS A A FAST RATE :( FORD FORD PUT ROLLER TAPPETS IN THIER MOTORS TO GIVE THEM LONGER LIFE:D JUST AS WHEN LEADED GAS WAS TO BE DONE AWITH :p THE MOTORS GOT NEW VAVLES AND SEATS AS WELL AS OTHER MODS TO HELP THEM LAST LONGER:D NOW IF PEOPLE AREN,T BUYING CARS DO YOU THINK THE CARS ARE GOING TO LAST AS LONG ...:confused: OF COURSE NOT, WEAR THEM OUT SOONER, BUY A NEW CAR ..THAT,S THE NAME OF THE GAME:(

Last edited:
I use 20w50 Valvoline race blend (partially synthetic) in the spring summer and fall...then switch to 10w40 for the winter.

David

Back