95 5-speed Shifter Chatter

rickbtbird

I've got a 95 5-speed. The shifter produces chatter when at lower RPMs and when in 5th gear. All the fluid were changed right after I purchased the car but it still does it only it's not as loud as before. It tends to do it more after the car has been run up to temperature. Any suggestions?

i'm no pro or nothing, but my '94 5spd does that too, all it is with mine is the shifter vibrating, making that annoying sound in 5th only, and if you rest your hand on it, it stops. dunno if thats your problem or not but thought i'd mention it

been there done that. after a hour long trip of that motherf....ing chatter pissing me off, i decided to rip the centerconsole apart. take the shift boot off and everything, and you'll discover a bolt to the thing that the shift knob screws onto is loose from the shifting box thing. tighten them up and you're good to go. i hope this solves your guys problem. i think thats what did it for me, i also used to have a really hard time finding first because it was loose and would wiggle around a lot. you might want to try using some blue loctite/thread lock so it doesnt loosen up on you again.

Thanks for the information. I have to take the dash apart at some point to reset the boost gage :p so I might as well do the console too.:D

Back