a/c COMPRESSOR

lurch256

So i need a new compressor in the SC>
My question for the experts is:
My mechanic wants almost 800 bones to do it.
I can do it myself for 250ish. Is it worth it for the mechanic to do it and have a vailid warrenty or should i just vacc it and flush it myslelf?
Looking for some input to people that have had to do this.
Thanks

$800 is a very good price I paid $1040 in 99 , I have learned how to do it myself
there is alot of mess involved to do it properly. read up on A/C replacement procedure & you can decide better.

The last time I looked for a compressor for my 93SC, I was about to pay almost 300, and that is at Midas's price.

The warranty is only valid if you replace the Accumulator and Liquid line(orfice included).

800 is including the mark up and labor with a proper evac and recharge??

That is about normal price range...unfortunately.

I work on A/C at Midas, even though I am not qualified to do it.:D

make friends with someone that does HVAC. My brother does it an can get frion(sp) for me for free

On the age of the car, I'd make sure you replace the dryer and the orifice. I paid $300 to get a used compressor put on my car and two weeks later it failed. A new one with warranty would have required the drier, orrifice and all said run close to 1grand.

I'll replace the dryer and orrifice myself then get the new compressor and just have the shop evac, fill with oil and then charge. Quoted me $95 to do that.

Mike8675309 said:
On the age of the car, I'd make sure you replace the dryer and the orifice. I paid $300 to get a used compressor put on my car and two weeks later it failed. A new one with warranty would have required the drier, orrifice and all said run close to 1grand.

I'll replace the dryer and orrifice myself then get the new compressor and just have the shop evac, fill with oil and then charge. Quoted me $95 to do that.

did you have to convert your system to R34?

It was converted before I owned it. Recharged it myself and it died. Put the reman compressor on it, and it died. The drier just isn't working anymore. The Driers have a dessicant inside them that eventually just can't absorb any more moisture. That's when it's time to replace it. R134a doesn't like moisture.

Back