thinkin about 5spd to Auto swap

NRGsc

Im thinkin about swapping from my 5speed to the auto tranny.... i already know a guy that can give me everything to swap to a auto. What all will i need to change? is it a computer controlled tranny? do the sc auto trannys have problems? etc etc. any information would be great! btw my sc has turned into more of a daily driver and the clutch is starting to go so.. that is why i was thinkin about swaping it to a auto...

Thanks
Nate

I wish you were closer to El Paso. I would swap with you. I have a 92 SC with a recently rebuilt AOD with a trans-go shift kit. I dont think it's too hard to do if you have a doner car with all the parts. The early model AODs were mechanically controlled, they didnt go to the electrically controlled AODs until 94. Should be able to do this over a weekend.

NRGsc said:
Im thinkin about swapping from my 5speed to the auto tranny.... i already know a guy that can give me everything to swap to a auto. What all will i need to change? is it a computer controlled tranny? do the sc auto trannys have problems? etc etc. any information would be great! btw my sc has turned into more of a daily driver and the clutch is starting to go so.. that is why i was thinkin about swaping it to a auto...

Thanks
Nate
What condition is your 5 speed in other than the clutch?

i could get my hands on a 94 lx with all the parts still in it(i think the 4.6 has a broken connecting rod) but thats it the trans is fine less than 100k on it let me know if it sounds tempting

It depends on what year you are swapping from. The 94/95 are computer controlled with the 4r70w, and the 89-93 use the AOD.

The 4.6 transmission will not bolt up to the 3.8, they have a different casing.

- Dan

oops

after posting that and reading it I realized that I am indeed a moron i forgot that we were talking sc's:rolleyes: wow i feel like a schmuck good call!
cody

the tranny that is in it right now seems to be just fine... prolly needs a run through though has about 100miles on it... i already have a donor car that a year newer than mine (1990)... and i feel like an automatic... i dont use the car a speedster anymore... just a fast crusier... Thanks for the info

NRGsc said:
the tranny that is in it right now seems to be just fine... prolly needs a run through though has about 100miles on it... i already have a donor car that a year newer than mine (1990)... and i feel like an automatic... i dont use the car a speedster anymore... just a fast crusier... Thanks for the info
Are you going to sell the 5 speed?

Unless you plan on installing a well built aod I wouldn't bother. If you were going to a full 4r70w swap with factory electronics it would be worth it just use a 02+ mustang v6 trans.
Alan

Back