carburetor, distributor with supercharger?

harveyecho

Is it possible to use a distributor on a supercharged engine? Also, how
difficult is it to set-up a carburetor instead of the fuel injection?
These answers might be obvious, but have not even seen a factory car
in person. Have become a fan of the v6 though. The 1982 f100 i have
has a factory 232 engine with a 2bbl. 284,000 miles and still running.
Would like to use a supercharged engine in it, and maybe a 1970 Scout.
Sorry to everyone that would like to see the engines stay with the cars
they came in. Maybe i will be a convert to the cars later, but for now would
like to work with what i have.
Thanks for any response.

To the best of my knoweledge, there isn't a carb style intake manifold made for the 3.8. The other stuff is doable.

David

Ben,

I didn't see anything on Morana's site that would fit an SC motor and accept a carb. Can't you post a link ?

David

I think the early 3.8s (pre-1984?) were carbed. The original poster seems to be saying that his '82 F-150 pickup has a carbed 3.8. (232 cubic inches)

Anyway, the supercharged 3.8 was never carbed, that we know. You could probably rig it up by making a Frankenstein inlet plenum. But I am not too knowledgeable about carbs anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

If I'm not mistaken, you have the 4.9L Straight 6 in your F100. Call up my friends over at clifford performance. They will be able to set you up with a nice high performance engine (or parts) for a lot less then it would take to swap super coupe parts over.

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

If you call, ask for Dave.

You are mistaken as Ford produced light duty F100s for one or two years with 3.8 litre, 2V carbed V-6's. It was alternative to buying a Ford Ranger, for the economy minded.

I had an '83 with a three speed (on the tree) standard. It was an adequate, and very economical truck. It sounds as if this gentleman has a similar set up.

I have heard there are a few guys who have used the M90 without the IC on old flathead V8s. I have a Flathead enthusiest currently wanting to buy my stock 93 blower for just such a purpose. He's desiging a plenum for a 4 bbl carb to mount on an inverted M90. Hes been out to my shop several times to take dimensions off the M90. Last week he called while I was out & said hes ready to take the blower, if I will let go of it. Apparently he's confident he has come up with something that will work. He already has found a manifold that he says will work with an adapter plate.
Its kind of a neat idea.

1HUMINBIRD said:
You are mistaken as Ford produced light duty F100s for one or two years with 3.8 litre, 2V carbed V-6's. It was alternative to buying a Ford Ranger, for the economy minded.

I had an '83 with a three speed (on the tree) standard. It was an adequate, and very economical truck. It sounds as if this gentleman has a similar set up.

Wow, learn something everyday. My dad was used car/truck dealer from 1970 to 1993. And we never saw a 3.8 V6 powered F-150. I'd like to see one.

1HUMINBIRD said:

Wow, sounds like a cool truck. I would LOVE to see one of these.

I scanned some pages from a Ford Pickups Plus magazine from the late 80's that shows and documents the 3.8 offering in the '82 and '83 F100s (only, not the F150s). Unfortunately, the file size to too large to attach here.

I am not sure how you'd make an M90 work with that two or four barrel manifold. I think the easiest but certainly not the least expensive option would be to use a Paxton style centrifugal blower. But they are not cheap.

Sorry to side track your thread.

There is a variety of intakes on Morana's site, at the link ben m provided. I think one of them could work. However, I am not sure if the best approach is to place the carb abead of the blower and keep the blower where it is, or move the blower and put the carb right on top of the engine.

Here's an interesting article I just Googled up (old, but hey, we're talking carbs here.)

http://www.old-carburetors.com/1927-Dykes/1927-Dykes-081.htm

Thanks to everyone for responding. The truck is factory with a 232 3.8
and a carburetor. Only two years like this. ALOT of engine bay room. At
first i thought it was transplanted in, but the vin matches with 3.8.
Bought it with 61,000 miles. It now has 284,000 miles. Unless something
was changed before i bought it, the truck is still all original. Internals,
head gaskets, carburetor, everything. I drove it to Alaska last summer
with a pickup bed trailer, and that is where it is at now. Not much power
now though, and it was slow into the mountains of Canada. That is why
i would like something else. It is pushing things to drive a stock engine like
this so long, and still tow with it. Not to mention the cast internals.

I think the early 3.8s (pre-1984?) were carbed. The original poster seems to be saying that his '82 F-150 pickup has a carbed 3.8. (232 cubic inches)

Anyway, the supercharged 3.8 was never carbed, that we know. You could probably rig it up by making a Frankenstein inlet plenum. But I am not too knowledgeable about carbs anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

my 83 mustang had a carbed 3.8....last year of the 3.8 in the fox mustangs was 86 with 83 being the first year..before that it was a 3.3 inline 6....then the 3.8 came back in 94...

A side-draft DCOE would fit the SC's eaton with only an adapter plate. Carbed Supercharged engines were available from some makes.

Jason

Back