good bye halfshaft, hello new rear

jackpriceisgod

broke the passenger side halfshaft- time to upgrade!

i did some research, and came up with a good plan of action i think. im gonna go with just some replacement halfshafts from my auto parts store, then go ahead and get the polyurethane bushings and rear rebuild kit from SCP. if i have the funds, ill throw gears in too, 3.27

questions- does the SCP rebuild kit come with the seals for the halfshafts? and two, which brace would be worth the money, the pinion braqce or the cover brace??

anything else to add just chime in, thanks!

I buy those kits off Bill quite often to build differentials for others.. The seals are included. I would generally say the pinion brace is the place to start.
Alan

jackpriceisgod said:
which brace would be worth the money, the pinion brace or the cover brace??
I'd have to say that if you already have Poly Diff. Bushings, that the cover brace would be the next logical step. A lot of those rear diff. mounts, get sloppy with age.

The Pinion Brace is a quality product, even if it's a BITCH to install. I've got one on my car, but don't expect it to kill wheel hop!!!

68COUGAR

good the cover brace is the cheapest too haha

one more question, if im replacing the halfshafts, do I need to replace the hubs or bearings??

Where did the half shaft break at? If it broke at the wheel end, I'd take a hard look at those rear wheel bearings. One theory on half shaft breakage is that wheel end bearings with excess clearance may create a force along the shaft that increases stress.

It may not account for all shaft breakage, but certainly is a viable theory for relatively stock power level cars that break shafts.

If you need a set of 3.27's I have a brand new still in the box ring and pinion that I need to get rid of and will beat any price! Give me a shout if you want.

Ira

Back