5spd swappers q's

slipknot1212121

Im about to swap my 93 auto to a m5r2..I have from a 90, tranny,driveline,crossmember(although i think not needed)clutch pedal,master/slave,hose,clutch ,tranny wire harness. I still need a flywheel,starter, computer and console.Now my questions,Dont the earlier(89-91?)have smaller maf and throttlebody?Do i need a 5spd computer from a 93? or will any year work? oh i also need a clutch pedal switch.. do i have to have one??cant you bypass it so you can start your car without the clutch? but you lose cruise control? enough for now, thanx

slipknot1212121 said:
Im about to swap my 93 auto to a m5r2..I have from a 90, tranny,driveline,crossmember(although i think not needed)clutch pedal,master/slave,hose,clutch ,tranny wire harness. I still need a flywheel,starter, computer and console.Now my questions,Dont the earlier(89-91?)have smaller maf and throttlebody?Do i need a 5spd computer from a 93? or will any year work? oh i also need a clutch pedal switch.. do i have to have one??cant you bypass it so you can start your car without the clutch? but you lose cruise control? enough for now, thanx
Clutch switch is only necessary if you want to keep cruise control. I had Remote start from when the car was an automatic, so I am able to use that since the switch wasn't installed. As you mentioned the only drawback is that I lost cruise control. It would work if the switch was there. I've had mine converted for a couple years now with no problems. Definitely a lot more fun! Someone else will need to chime in about the MAF/throttle body, but I think any computer from 89-93 would work, although connections may be different.

No computer change nessary. Everything will just bolt up and plug in. The hard part is hanging the clutch peddle.

So i can use my auto computer with the 5spd? i thought you needed the computer cause the fuel maps or somethin were different?And if i dont hook up the clutch peddle switch it will still start fine, just with no cc??Man i just went to pick and pull and bought a 91 5spd computer, clutch pedal switch and console:(

Your not changing anything to the motor and the trans is not computer controlled in any way unless you have a 94-95. The clutch peddle will have the switch you need on it and the plug in is under the dash.It will have a cap or jumper on it. remove it and plug her in. It just makes you depress the clutch before it will start. I have done this twice

yeah the plug for the transmission is just plug and play, remove your center console and follow the plug which is located right underneath the dash were the shifter PANEL (HOLE) is at...

Just make sure you use the wiring harness from the 5 speed car and swap out your speedo gear and your good to go.
We also used the same starter that came with the car.

Last edited:
sweet, this is gettin easier and easier,how about my rad.? do i need to get a 5spd rad. or can i just plug the auto tranny oil lines?

You can leave the trans line open or plug em. This swap is not that hard. I can do it in a day now providing the trans has already been rebuilt.

Back