Cooling fan problems! help!!

youngfordfan61

Hey guys,
So I brought a 93' 5 speed, and its having cooling issues. Runs great on the open road, runs hot fast in traffic. So we soon discovered the eletric fan wasnt coming on. We took the fan motor off, and found out it the fan motor was locked down. After tracking down a new fan motor, we installed it let the motor get hot, and the fan still wont come on!! We tested the the 3 prong wire coming into the fan, its getting 12 volts on 2 prongs, and 0 on what I assume is the ground prong. While testing for voltage we turned the ac on, after running ac for 3 or 4 minutes it didnt seem to cycle. Then it seem to burst pressure out of somekind of pressure valve. Fan still never came on. But temp did get above normal operating temp. I realise these fans are set to come on at 210 degrees or somewhere right in there this new one wont come on at all! Is there some kind of relay? Any ideas? Any and all help very much appreciated!!
Thanks and God bless
mcw:)

Actually there is a control relay. Its part of a multi relay unit located in front of the air filter box and its called the IRCM. It controls the fans and a couple of other things.

I'd look around for a working used one, or look up a thread on how to repair it (good article by someone that shows how to replace the relays in it) or (I don't recommend this) you can cut one of the wires on it and the fan will come on all the time and some folks wire in manual switches to control the fan.... which I don't recommend cause if you forget, you motor is toast.

Frit

Hey,
Thanks for info, so I found the ircm, and ive found a used one is a little hard to come by. I tested the wires, its getting 12 volts to on it two of the wires which tells me ok the fan motor is getting power why isnt it coming on??? I realise that one wire is ground. I checked that fuse box, too on the fenderwell and I have no blown fuses, or burnt wires as Ive seen in any of the pics shown on here. I dont really want to straight wire, but i can if it comes down to it. So does that mean its defniltly the ircm?? Look forward to any advice..
mcw
P.s.-For future reference, for those very few of you reading who know less about the sc's then I do, when installing a new power window motor, those 4 rivets do not need to be drilled out!! As one mechanic advised me..the motor is only held by 3, 8 mm bolts! So wrong mechanic, and im having a good time lining that regulator gear assembly back up. just a hint..Thanks and may God bless
mcw

PM me your email and I will send you a wiring diagram, and if you need more assistance let me know. The pressure that let off was most likely the refrigerant in your A/C system, because the pressure was too high, because the fan was not on.

I'm not an electrical expert, but have some experience from owning my SC for 16 years and going through the fan problems also. I think you do have an IRCM issue. I say that because you said there is 12v at two wires and none at one. The black is ground as you assume, the larger of the "hot" wires is the high speed fan and the other smaller hot is the low speed fan. Only one speed of the fan operates at any given time, so you should not have both wires hot at the same time. Both relays in the IRCM may be stuck closed and may have been caused by a fan motor that is failing and drawing too many amps. John

Back