Cruise control buttons blows horn???

AutobotGears

94 v8 bird stock

Ever since I got the car a few months ago, the cruise has not worked. While playing around with it the other day I found out that if you hold "on" and push "coast", the horn will blow. (if you are going 100km on the highway and also if you are parked with no ley in ignition.)
The horn button works fine.

Maybe it's messed up horn/cruise wires in the steering wheel.:confused:

There are 2 screws on the steering wheel, 1 on the left and 1 on the right. I am nervous about taking them off because of the air bag. There are no screws on the cruise control buttons. Does anyone know how to take the buttons off without the air bag blowing up in my face?

This is the first car I've owned with an air bag.

Thanks for any help
Trevor

Those screws on the back of the steering wheel hold the air bag on. Not a big deal if you are careful. I usually unplug the battery and let the car sit for 15-20 minutes. I cannot remember what the cruise control buttons look like on the newer style interior. It could be a problem with the clock spring.

So just undo the screws and lift off the whole air bag unit?
And what is a clock spring?

The cruise buttons are "on" above "off" on the left side attached to the wheel(not integrated in the wheel like the older style) and "resume" above "set/accel" above "coast" on the right side
Trevor

Last edited:
So just undo the screws and lift off the whole air bag unit?
Yes

The clock spring is what is behind the airbag. You'll be looking right at it once you get the airbag off. It basically allows you to run wires to the front of the steering wheel and still be able to turn the wheel without having the wires get all twisted up. It's kind of like a slip ring.

I plugged the harness in backwards on the cruise switches and got the same result. Might want to check it out.
Alan

Every wire seems to be in the right spot. You cannot put them another way because they only go in 1 way(plastic tabs, etc.)

The black wire to the left of the big black screw has a grey plastic tab thing on the end(you see it after you disconnect it) It can come out and snap back in, what in the world does that do? Are the wires wrong? 1 red, 1 black and 1 blue wire is in that connector. (but I forget what order left to right they are in)

Am I missing something here? Do I have to take off the big black screw in the middle to get to the clock spring? I took it off and pulled the wheel, but the wheel didn't come off. I didn't pull very hard though.

Here is a picture of it.

Anyone know what I should do next?

Are you sure that pressing the "on" and "coast" buttons together is not just a test to make sure the buttons do work?
The buttons are plugged in properly.
Maybe I need new buttons?

Trevor

Attachments

• cruisecontrol.jpg
    cruisecontrol.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 60
Back