She's slowly dying in front of my eyes. ( My Turbo Mustang GT)

Well guys,
Damon told me it would happen sooner or later, but I guess my twin-turbocharged Mustang GT is about to blow.:(
Smoke signal are telling me so.:eek:
I doubt I have many miles left until B O O M!!!

What should I do: Rebuild this engine or go with a crate engine?
I will need a crank, rods, and pistons if I decide to rebuild.
A Crate motor (short block) built for boost is $3,500.00 from some vendors i read up on.
Which will be cheaper?:confused:
Frank

Sorry, I haven't followed the car at all. What kind of block is it, and the ones you are considering based on, factory or aftermarket?

Where have you guys been. After HP made him waste his time w/ the custom turbo setup for his SC he got a deal on a twin turbo kit for his 4.6L PI Mustang GT. He's had pics of the car on here before.

Anyhow. I'd go with a built short block and just swap it in, maybe get some patriot stage 2 heads and some xe272 cams.

i say you just do the DOHC conversion and get more power of it, since ur gonna be spending so much dinero on heads.... thats what i would do, a nice 5.4 DOHC sitting in my SC would be so frigging shweet... but good luck dude.

Scott Long said:
Where have you guys been. After HP made him waste his time w/ the custom turbo setup for his SC he got a deal on a twin turbo kit for his 4.6L PI Mustang GT. He's had pics of the car on here before.

Anyhow. I'd go with a built short block and just swap it in, maybe get some patriot stage 2 heads and some xe272 cams.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. I was thinking he was talking about a Fox car.

Anyway, since the block isn't an issue here I'd probably go ahead and buy a forged kit and have a trusted local shop assemble. A friend bought a short block from CHP which proved to insufficient piston to bore clearance. It was a forged 5.1 and IIC the clearance was .015 which matched what the build sheet said. The pistons used stated that they required a minimum of .02. CHP used every excuse they could think of and my friend ended having to do a charge-back.

My point isn't so much that CHP was bad to deal with for support, though they certainly were, but more that this can happen with a shop that has no local reputation to defend. IMO much better to deal with a reputable local shop.

Also, another tidbit that car taught us was not to set 4.6 heads down on the combustion face. They'll bend a valve and you won't figure it out until you start it. Doh!

You can go pretty far with stock heads and PI cams. I always reccomend a god builder that is used to BUILDING 4.6's. I personally just had a 4.6 done for my supercharged Tbird that has a cobra steel crank Manley H beam rods and forged Pistons (ARP throughout..EVen main studs...I could have gone with a girdle and misc other things but the fact remains I wont even make over 400rwhp..(M90)

When frank finally reads this......ANyway I know someone selling a top of the line DSS motor. They know how to build 4.6's....And I can get him a GREAT deal on a SB someone didnt get to use because he ended up getting a cobra...

So Frank where are ya?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
You can go pretty far with stock heads and PI cams. I always reccomend a god builder that is used to BUILDING 4.6's. I personally just had a 4.6 done for my supercharged Tbird that has a cobra steel crank Manley H beam rods and forged Pistons (ARP throughout..EVen main studs...I could have gone with a girdle and misc other things but the fact remains I wont even make over 400rwhp..(M90)

When frank finally reads this......ANyway I know someone selling a top of the line DSS motor. They know how to build 4.6's....And I can get him a GREAT deal on a SB someone didnt get to use because he ended up getting a cobra...

So Frank where are ya?

HEHE!!! Sorry Damon! I was feeling sort of pissy last night after I got home and parked that car. It was smoking from the exhaust a little and I know the end is near.:eek: I decided since my wife and I had the weekend alone with no kids that I would drown my sorry in some Jimmy Beam.:p
I just woke up from last night carnage and I am ready to think of a solution. I need to go the cheapest, but smartest route.
1.) You say your freind has a smallblock for sale.:eek:
2.) You also have a connection with a DDS motor! :eek:
A PM is closing in on you with great allacrity!!!!!:D
Also I think I was more interested in your idea to rebuild the rotating assembly with ARP and such.

Last edited:
Parker

Parker Dean said:
Sorry, I haven't followed the car at all. What kind of block is it, and the ones you are considering based on, factory or aftermarket?

The car is completely stock except for an HP Performance turbo kit and suspention components.:cool:
The setup I am considering will be built to handle a ton of boost!:)

David Neibert said:
Frank,

How much boost were you running ? Did you do anything with the fuel system or the ignition timing ?

David

David,
I am running 8-9 pds of boost. The wastegates are set to open at that point.
I have done nothing else to the fuel system besides the #42 injectors, the SVT Focus fuel pump, and the Diablo chip supplied by HP.
Frank:)

Also,

My friends over at www.fullthrottleforums.com (A local site for car enthusiasts in my area) seem to think I may be "jumping the gun since the car has not been tuned. The feeling is that I am running rich since the car idles at 2K. Until I can afford to get the car tuned I am just "pissing in the wind".:eek:

You don't fool around do you.

You know how it is..ALl depends on who you think god is ..

Anyway the 4.6 is a nice non piston slapping motor..With that comes these god awful pistons that cant handle boost very well...even at 6psi you can easily break a piston...

PM for you Frank

Back