power steering leak

x182dan

Something is leaking from the front of my motor and I am really having a hard time seeing if its the pump or not. The fluid leaks on pretty quickly. The fluid is leaking from the front of the k-member. Now the rack has been replaced to times already so I don't THINK that its the rack. I have had the car for probably 4months now. The previous owned drove the car for 25mins with the bad rack with no fluid in the pump. Now the car has been fine for me for the 4months but all of a sudden today it lost the fluid. Could the pump looks the fluid that quickly or is it possibly a hose?

my 89 did that & it was 2 months after new motormounts were installed...humm :eek: the engine settled on the hyd. line & damaged it above the rack. my tech. replaced the line from autozone & that was that!

how is your motor mounts?

35thauto said:
my 89 did that & it was 2 months after new motormounts were installed...humm :eek: the engine settled on the hyd. line & damaged it above the rack. my tech. replaced the line from autozone & that was that!

how is your motor mounts?

the mounts are supposed to be new rubber ones but one I did my first oil change the filter was pretty close to the kmember

I just fixed two leaks that sound similar to yours. First one was coming from the EVO valve. When I previously changed the power steering pump, I did not replace the EVO o-rings when installing it in the new pump as recommended. The other leak was from a loose fitting connection where the pressure line fastens together with another pressure line underneath the lower intercooler pipe.

x182dan said:
The previous owned drove the car for 25mins with the bad rack with no fluid in the pump.

Well, the power steering pump would be a good place to start woorking if it was ran for that long with no fluid. My friend was driving his 90 SC on the highway with no oil in it, the pump siezed SOLID, so of course the serpentine belt cooked right through.

Seriously, is your engine that dirty ? I know it's cramped under there, but couldn't you pressure wash the engine all where the P/S gear is, drive it up on blocks, and pinpoint the leak visually ?

I'd lean to EVO too, had similar problem with my 5.0. Good new though Ford has the O-rings and they are $1 (get a pack of each, there are 2 different sizes).

Back