head bolt torque

lon

I need to know what steps to do the head bolt torque.when im on the drivers side or pass what bolt do i start with (4 on top and 4 on bottom).Its a 92 sc.I got a fel-pro head gasket set and fel-pro head bolts.thanks.Lon

Do it like you would your wheels. The reason for doing in a star pattern is to get the heads mated to the block as evenly as possible. Some people go in values of 50-60-75-90. I went in 5 lb increments and didnt turn the wrench further than the thickness of the handle.

what should the final torque be at(90 or 95lbs)i just want to make sure there all even.

Here the procedure for TTY bolts, and you'd better be using new ones, not resusing the old ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Lightly oil all bolts except short ones.
Apply suitable sealer to short cylinder head bolts.
Using tightening sequence shown, torque cylinder head attaching bolts in steps as follows:
50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
60 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)
70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)
80 Nm (59 ft. lbs.)
Loosen bolts 2-3 turns .
65-75 Nm (48-55 ft. lbs.)
Tighten an additional 90-110° , then go to the next bolt in sequence.
For each valve, rotate the crankshaft until the tappet rests on the base of the camshaft lobe, install the pushrods and torque rocker arm fulcrum attaching bolts to 5 Nm (43 in lb).
Once all of the rockers are in place and temporarily torqued, torque all fulcrum arm bolts to 25-35 Nm (19-25 ft lb) . For this step the camshaft may be in any position.
Torque rocker arm cover bolts to 9-12 Nm (80-106 in lb) .
----------------------------------------------------------

This way you know your doing it right, and pay attention to the in. Lbs and ft. Lbs torque settings............... and I included how to set up your rocker arms as well as a bonus ;).

Attachments

• headboltseq.gif
    headboltseq.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
fturner said:
Here the procedure for TTY bolts, and you'd better be using new ones, not resusing the old ones.

Using tightening sequence shown, torque cylinder head attaching bolts in steps as follows:
50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
60 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)
70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)
80 Nm (59 ft. lbs.)
Loosen bolts 2-3 turns .
For each valve, rotate the crankshaft until the tappet rests on the base of the camshaft lobe, install the pushrods and torque rocker arm fulcrum attaching bolts to 5 Nm (43 in lb).
Once all of the rockers are in place and temporarily torqued, torque all fulcrum arm bolts to 25-35 Nm (19-25 ft lb) . For this step the camshaft may be in any position.

This way you know your doing it right, and pay attention to the in. Lbs and ft. Lbs torque settings............... and I included how to set up your rocker arms as well as a bonus ;).
i just finished the heads and just to be sure when i did the first additional 90-110 it ended up being 85ft. lbs. so i did the rest @ 85ft. lbs.is that right.

i just finished the heads and just to be sure when i did the first additional 90-110 it ended up being 85ft. lbs. so i did the rest @ 85ft. lbs.is that right??.what stat should i use?a195??car has a 10% pully on the charger,373 gear,built trans,shift kit,2200 stall,headders,full dyno max,no cats,

Last edited:
If you followed fturners post you did. I didnt do that the exact same way. I learned differant. One piece of advise is to let it sit for 8 hours and then re-check the ft lbs on each. Once the gasket compresses I dont believe, the torque wrench is the same after 25 bolts (I dont trust a torque wrench to retain the same torque after that many even on the exact same setting) to keep things equal. I used a Snap-On TW. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe its over kill.

Some of the sequence numbers in the attachment I disagree with but thats just me.

Dahoopd said:
If you followed fturners post you did. I didnt do that the exact same way. I learned differant. One piece of advise is to let it sit for 8 hours and then re-check the ft lbs on each. Once the gasket compresses I dont believe, the torque wrench is the same after 25 bolts (I dont trust a torque wrench to retain the same torque after that many even on the exact same setting) to keep things equal. I used a Snap-On TW. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe its over kill.

Some of the sequence numbers in the attachment I disagree with but thats just me.
i did use a snap on TW but want to know if 85 ft lbs sounds right for the 90-110 degree turn?what t-stat should i use??here are a few pics of the work.http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l127/lon01_2006/

Well I did mine at 70-80-90 for the ARP studs. This may not be correct but, even if you do the search you will get multiple opinions. My opinions are by far not the answer. Helll on here you get flamed for the wrong answer before you get a straight answer from anyone else. If you think you did it right from what you learned....run with it. If it fails, learn from it and do it again right.

fturner said:

50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
60 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)
70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)
80 Nm (59 ft. lbs.)
Loosen bolts 2-3 turns .

That is the FOMOCO intsructions so if they are wrong all our heads are wrong.

the first time i used the book my heads ended up lifting under boost, and steam shot through the sides.... so what i did, i ended up going 75-85-95 with THREADLOCKER RED... just as a precaution... of course this was all with brand new bolts both the times.... and it was with a MAC-TOOLS wrench that rarely sees daylight... well... needless to say heads havent lifted so i guess all is good!

i did them just like this. 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
60 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)
70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)
80 Nm (59 ft. lbs.)
Loosen bolts 2-3 turns .
Tighten an additional 90-110°(i did about 100 degrees thats 85ft lbs). so this is right or no and what t-stat should i get???? please someone let me know??i only have the heads on now and if thats wrong ide rather buy head gaskets and head bolts than everything all over

lon said:
i did them just like this. 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
60 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)
70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.)
80 Nm (59 ft. lbs.)
Loosen bolts 2-3 turns .
Tighten an additional 90-110°(i did about 100 degrees thats 85ft lbs). so this is right or no and what t-stat should i get???? please someone let me know??i only have the heads on now and if thats wrong ide rather buy head gaskets and head bolts than everything all over
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW THIS:( ?

What are you not getting an answer on. Tighten them increasing the ft/lbs by 10.

Wait and recheck (my advice). There is no reason to loosen.

Back