Seized bolt on starter 90SC

1puttpro

I'm attempting to change an original starter on my 1990 SC. The top mounting bolt on the starter flange, snapped. I've tried penetrating oil and a MAPP gas torch, with no luck at freeing the bolt. It seems almost impossible to "drill out" the bolt. Any thoughts or ideas? Is it possible to gain more access by removing the right front wheel and mud shroud? Also, part of the metal mounting gasket is broken. Do I need to replace, or can I make do with a dab of gasket compound?

Thanks,

Jim

If you are doing it on the ground, yeah take the wheel off. You can get in there easier. If you have a lift then it won't help. As far as the bolt, MAP gas sucks. Might be worth your while to rent an acetylene torch. To get a broken bolt out I heat around the bolt (be careful not to melt the bellhousing) then turn the bolt out with eagle beak pliers or vise grips. If there is not enough bolt sticking out on either side to grip you can drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use a bolt extractor. And I have no idea what you mean by the metal gasket. It might have a shim, but shouldn't if it is still factory.

You can try an extract it but good luck, I sense a heilo-coil or retap coming.

Be VERY careful with acetylene.

Heat the bell housing around the bolt, not the bolt itself. You want the outer part holding the bolt to expand, not the bolt itself. I believe the bell housing is aluminum as well, so it'll expand pretty fast. So you don't need to hold heat on there too long.

Try and locating some reverse twist drill bits to drilll for a bolt extractor. That'll make it easier.

I snapped a bolt not long ago. A buddy told me a trick he uses.

Take a grinder and make a screw out of it. Put your blade screwdriver in there and it should work if the PB blaster did its job. I used a fiber cutting wheel on my dremel for that job. In my opinion it should be the first thing anyone does before drilling into it.

Don't be too distressed if you can't get it out, as long as there is atleast 1/4" of the bolt shaft protruding from the bell housing and, hopefully it's the lower bolt that's broken. I tried all those usual methods and after severely chewing up the bolt I just left it that way and installed a new upper bolt with a lock washer. That was a few years ago and it's still there. As for the gasket, I recall that is a continuous metal plate between the bellhousing & trans and just extends around the starter opening; so as long as most of it is there to provide the spacing you should be ok.

Back