Halfshaft Done In?

Tin-Knocker105

I'm working on the 5spd and noticed that the drivers side half shaft has thrown grease all over the place.
Don't know how long its been doing it.
Did a search and found out the axles are interchangeable, so i thought i would replace it with a fat shaft the i pulled from the 94 i parted out.
Just making sure from those who know more than me, that it do-able.

THANKS FOR THE HELP
TONY

I got the car in the garage to do a few things
1. pull the tranny replace the clutch.
2. pull the motor to fix the freaking leaky oil pan. ***Finally found where all the oils coming from, hole in pan. ***It was sitting on the crossmember when i bought it a couple years ago, with bad head gaskets.
3. swap over the spindles to the 94 ones and put on the cross drilled slotted rotors that came on the 94 as well.
4. New shocks and springs all around. Illuminas
5.Fix anything thats bad on the front end control arms /tie rods etc.
6.New late model blower; Magnuson
7. Mp intake plenum
8. 85mm TB
9. 86mm maf
10. 36 lb injectors
11. MP cold air divider/ 3.5 inch tube
and a big ol honkin filter.

So while I'm doing all of this stuff i got to fix anything else i see thats bad.
Whew

Attachments

• 100_1681.jpg
    100_1681.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_1682.jpg
    100_1682.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_1683.jpg
    100_1683.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
CV Shaft

Tony,

It looks as if all you need to do is replace the CV boot on the inner joint of this shaft. If you want any info on how to do this, just shoot me an email and I will be happy to explain it. When I swapped 3.73s into my SC, I disassembled, cleaned out, and regreased the CV halfshafts. But, if you've got an extra one laying around, inspect the boots before you put it in for cracks - otherwise you'll wind up with the same problem again.

Ted

yeah i am thinking of picking up some fat left side shafts from the local pick-a-part on half off day and replacing my passenger side one. because i have the same problem. my cv boot came off and i have tried numerous times to replace the clamp but it keeps coming off. must be that massive torque that i have to the rear wheels.... ha hahahahhahahaha... anywho. i have the required tool that you need to pull the clamp to tighten it but i dont know how to lock it. so if i cant re-clamp it one more time then i guess i am just replacing them with a fat shaft from a donor.... dude email the HOW TO to darkstar_one@sbcglobal.net or wd1200@sbcglobal.net thanks again...

Clamp Types

There are two types of CV Boot Clamps. The crappy kind uses a plier tool and perforations and tabs in the boot to clamp (like stock Ford Stuff). They suck and always come apart.

There is another type, which I use, that uses basically a "can opener" tool with clamps that basically act as a belt. You put your clamp on, slide the exposed end of the clamp through the tool, and it winds up the free end of the clamp to tighten it up. Then when you are done and its tightened down, the tool has a little razor cutter and it snips off the excess. Then you tap the stuff that is still sticking out over the "clamp belt" and tap the clamp belt a few times with a hammer for good measure to increase its holding power. I've never had one of these come apart on me before the actual boot gave out and split.

Ted

darkstar_one said:
yeah i am thinking of picking up some fat left side shafts from the local pick-a-part on half off day and replacing my passenger side one. because i have the same problem. my cv boot came off and i have tried numerous times to replace the clamp but it keeps coming off. must be that massive torque that i have to the rear wheels.... ha hahahahhahahaha... anywho. i have the required tool that you need to pull the clamp to tighten it but i dont know how to lock it. so if i cant re-clamp it one more time then i guess i am just replacing them with a fat shaft from a donor.... dude email the HOW TO to darkstar_one@sbcglobal.net or wd1200@sbcglobal.net thanks again...

Does anyone have a link to independent rear axle repalacement

Chiltons is weak on explanations, confusing on blowups, were can I find online help for replacing rebuilt half shafts for my 90 sc...

Awesome Timing!

I am in the middle of my rear install and got on to search and see if the axles were suppose to be all jizzed up with grease.

Attachments

• parts 001.jpg
    parts 001.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 67
Back