20W50 vs. Fact Recom 5W30

Mike Farish

Thanks Juha, Sam and David for your responses. I'm responding with a new thread as my inquiries were taking place on Thumper's thread to quieten down his crank with heavier oil and he got his answer. Sam, you overwhelmed me with a pictoral of how you improved your situation by adding the filter. I notice you also have a 95 Auto. Mine is Electric Red. I did replace the PCB valve in April with no change. As noted previously my consumption rate is half of what it was since changing to 5W30 syn blend. I think I will go full synthetic with the next change. At this point I don't know whether to go 5W30, 15W50 or 20W50. I'm in eastern Pa. and we do have hot summers, especially this year but not excessively cold most winters.

Thanks again...Mike

I have a 94 with 114000 miles on it. I have always used synthetic and go with 15-50 in the summer, a 10-30 in the fall and a 5-30 in the winter months. I live in the ny hudson valley area and get up to a 100f in the summer and -0 in the winter. I just did a 2500 mile trip with the old bird and saw no perceptible drop in oil. She was on the full mark before and after the trip.

Back