Intermit Starter Problem

factoryblue

Hey all, I searcehed the forum and was unable to find a starting point for tracking down my starter problem. The starter, battery, and solenoid are new with in the past year. For some time now, the starter seems to back off before the engine starts. This happens 1 of five times. It does not matter if the car is hot or cold. It seems like the starter thinks the engine has started and backs out. Other than that it is a strong starter, and battery. I just read about the big event in Xenia this October, hope to see/meet everybody.

Nick

can it be ur ignition switch? i think most people have probelms with it the contacts and end up replacing it. you need to probably do a search on IGNITION SWITCH and see if you get any feedback. The starter doesnt know when the engine is running, even if yuou try to crank the car with the engine running the starter may grip and damage your flywheel or flexplate.... the driver controls the starter not the EEC....

factoryblue said:
Hey all, I searcehed the forum and was unable to find a starting point for tracking down my starter problem. The starter, battery, and solenoid are new with in the past year. For some time now, the starter seems to back off before the engine starts. This happens 1 of five times. It does not matter if the car is hot or cold. It seems like the starter thinks the engine has started and backs out. Other than that it is a strong starter, and battery. I just read about the big event in Xenia this October, hope to see/meet everybody.

Nick

Nick,

There is a wire with a spade type terminal that plugs onto the starter, which if a little loose will cause the problem your having. Other than jacking the car up, it's an easy fix.

Just remove the wire and crimp the female connection with pliers so it fits tighter on the male connection of the starter. It also wouldn't hurt to put a little diaelectric grease on the connection.

David

Back