! Bad! Suspension/steering Problem.

The_Ghost

Update:
I came home for lunch today and in order to go straight I had to turn the steering wheel 1/4 of the way around. I got out of the car in the driveway and checked out what was going on, and discovered what looked like about 5* of negative camber on the front driver's side wheel.

The car goes POP/bang/bong/resonating bang noise really loud once when I turn certain ways or weight transfer of the car goes nose-forward.

I am not sure what the hell it could be, but it sure isn't cool.
Then to make matters worse I discovered that I must've run over a fairly large nail within the last block or so, and watched all air pressure leave my right rear tire through a small hole.

1990 SC 5-speed.
Occasionally will stutter and skip for a sec and then picks right back up where it left off. I am thinking the DIS needs new heatsink grease--isnt that usually what does this?
As in, I will be driving along, it will fall on its face for half a second and then go back to normal like nothing is wrong.

2nd, while turning lately the car now goes POP really loud at the end of a turn, but this only occurs if I use 100% of the steering range, and then as I return the wheel to dead center it'll go POP and you can feel the vibration through the whole car.
I am thinking worn out balljoint, or something else.

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help guys!!
-ghost

Last edited:
The first problem does sound like it could be the DIS. Or a loose wire somewhere.

The second, I don't know. But it sounds fairly serious. Sounds like you are on the right track with balljoints or tie rod ends.

Check the bolts that hold on your K member. They could be loose and I have heard others saying once retightened the poping went away. They have a special head on them and I can remember what type

Ken

What type are the bolts that hold on the kmember?

What was a mild problem just got a whole lot worse.

-Ghost

Just really got to looking at it-- the a-arm ( i think that's what it's called) where it connects to the body, there's this eccentric bushing thing, and the bolt connecting the arm to the body on that bushing is REALLY loose. I am getting a 4-wheel alignment tomorrow morning using aggressive handling settings-- fortunately I don't have to buy any actual parts-- not yet, I think...
-Ghost

Strut Rod bushing is what it sounds like...do not use the poly bushings from Moog, a few people here told me that they split after a couple months use. I just picked up the rubber from AZ, something like 22 bux a side.

The strut rod bushings control caster on our vehicles. If there is a lot of play in the bushing, you will not be able to get a true reading for the alignment.

Strut rod bushing's bolt was totally loose and tons of play.

I've got it under control now and it should be ready to go shortly.
-Ghost

Back