Vibration and noise when Idle

rickbtbird

I got a 95 5speed. When it idles down to normal between 700-800 something seems to shake and I get some noise in the drivers seat sounding like it's coming from the back of the motor. If I turn on the A/C it's not as bad. I don't hear the noise from the engine compartment but I did noticed a minor vibration when at idle. When I'm at RPM's above 2k I hear a sort of chug-a-lug and some minor vibration. When on the hi-way on OD I get some minor chatter from the shifter and a faint Chug-a-lug, sort of like a Choo Choo Train.

I put the car up on stands and got under it. The motor mounts look almost new and I didn't see any crack. The tranny bushing don't look that hot as the ends look quite old and cracking.

I just got a tranny mount kit with two bushings and the solid center mount from SPC today. I'm going to attempt the replacement myself. I also sprung for the motor mounts but I'm not too convinced that their bad but I wanted to have them handy incase the tranny kit doesn’t fix the problem.

Can anybody think of anything else I would need or have any clue as to the real problem because I'm really guessing at this point?

If the noise calms down when you put on the A/C I would pull your main serp. Belt and see if the noise is still there it could be the balancer failing

Pit Bird said:
If the noise calms down when you put on the A/C I would pull your main serp. Belt and see if the noise is still there it could be the balancer failing
That was another thought I had. Pulling the belt is a good idea. Thanks.

Passanger Side Motor Mount

After my normal routine of fighting with my Girl Friend for two hours because I spent some money down at the "Jiggle Room" the other night, I left the house, mowed the lawn and watched my neighbor’s wife wash the car in her bikini. I got a NICE neighbor. :p

Now time to work on the car. I removed the upper exhaust (one manifold stud went bad), Tranny mount bolt, jacked up the tranny, removed the cross bar and removed the mount. It didn't look that bad although it is liquid filled. I had to remove the entire bracket to bolt up the solid mount because the frig'en bracket spread apart and wouldn't align with the mount holes. I had to compress it in a clamp. So tomorrow I have to find a press to help remove the old bushings. I’m sure I’ll have to burn out the residue with a torch before I press the new ones in. Nothing is easy on this car!

Since I had the upper exhaust off, I took a real good look at the motor mounts. I discovered the passenger’s side had a torn piece and the outside was starting to dry rot. The driver's side looks good, might even be new. I got a set of solid rubber mounts from SPC. Now, who's got a good how-to on motor mounts?

Attachments

• motormount.jpg
    motormount.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back