AOD question

shawpdx1

have a 90 with 120000 goes right into gear shifts 1-2nd cant get 3rd and 4th any ideas other than a boat anchor , also wich cables goes to the tranny top one or bottom one the top one's rubber gromet is gone and it just is all sloppy in the hole, anyway going to get this gromet but it was doing this before I tore the gromet Thanks

Sounds like it's time for a rebuild. The OD band is shot and if 3rd is gone the other gears will be very soon after it. That connection at the TB is the TV cable for the tranny. It's very important that it be set correctly or else it can fry the tranny pretty quick. Ford makes a brass bushing with a cotter pin to replace that sloppy plastic junk. I had to get the new bushing for mine and it's nice and solid. They should have done that in the first place:rolleyes:

It could be a broken direct drive input shaft. On a stock AOD there are dual shafts...outer shaft handles 1st and 2nd and the inner handles 3rd and OD. It's not uncommon for the inner shaft to break.

Replacing the shaft is easy...just slides out. Unfortunatly the tranny has to be removed to change it, which is not so easy.

David

Back