MP Tensioner Springs

Melon

SCCoA Member
Is anyone running these? IIRC, Kevin has them on his car, but I haven't heard of anyone else. When I dyno'ed in the spring, I was getting a lil belt slippage and that was just with 10% OD. I'm thinking of running 15% and I'm betting I'll have more slippage than I do now.

Just curious if anyone else has these and how they like them? For the price ($40) they can't be a bad investment?

-Melon

I just put them in, It was a breeze to install.

I too was getting belt slip for the longest time, I have not gone back to the track to see if its still slipping around 5200rpms, so I have no feedback, but I can sure tell you that it was WAAYYY tighter to get the belt back on, so It has to be doing something :eek:

Mike

I'm not sure I trust the way you have to reinstall the front plate retainers so use common sense and caution with that. Other than that it's pretty much the best thing you can do for your M90.

XR7 Dave said:
I'm not sure I trust the way you have to reinstall the front plate retainers so use common sense and caution with that. Other than that it's pretty much the best thing you can do for your M90.

It was pretty tricky to get the tensioner clocked back around to put the front plate on, I used a large socket and hammered it back on, although it does not seem like they are all the way on as compared to the alternator tensioner.

I also tried hammering them down with a small hammer like the instructions state, but with the same results. I tried to indent the front plate a little around the square peg in the middle, hope they hold together.

I wounder what the extra load on the crank, super charger and the jackshaft pulley might come back to bite you.

After you get them back together take a punch and hammer to roll the metal back over the steel plate. It should not take much to hold it on. I did about three punches per side. It really is a breeze once you get the first one done. Another note is to open up the spring slot just a bit to account for the larger diameter spring wire.

Mike

Mike,

Are you referring to the Square piece in the middle and rolling that over the front plate?

Im thinking I should pop them off tomorrow and doing that for an added safety feature.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

I just reinstalled the front plates on mine with no dimples. I have about 500 driving miles on them and 4 passes down the track and so far no sign they want to pop off. They were definately worth the 40 bucks.

My concern is that if they do pop off there is nothing there to catch the parts. I installed a large washer over it to prevent it from flying off into the belts if it does come loose.

Great Idea Dave, never even though about a washer. Guess Ill dimple the square down over the plate and add a washer just for safe measure. Thanks Mike

Melon said:
Is anyone running these? IIRC, Kevin has them on his car, but I haven't heard of anyone else. When I dyno'ed in the spring, I was getting a lil belt slippage and that was just with 10% OD. I'm thinking of running 15% and I'm betting I'll have more slippage than I do now.

Just curious if anyone else has these and how they like them? For the price ($40) they can't be a bad investment?

-Melon
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77561&highlight=ordered

-Melon

What not to like?! Just compare thickness of the wire

3y4vxjo.jpg

Last edited:
Silly question! How do you know you are getting belt slip if the rpms are up and your head isnt under the hood.

I am assuming a newer blower with an older pulley wouldnt require these. Right?

hey dahoop... the way you can tell is your car will feel like your cas has an auto tranny and is slipping... you will feel the lost in power... i remember my first belt slip.. i was YELLING WHAT THE ~~~~ HAPPEN! THEN THE BELT GRIPPED AGAIN.... but yeah thats my experience...

i know im slipping when i am pulling hard then the motor bogs down shift gears go sidewways again keep pulling and it bogs down again. i know i need to get those but didnt know how hard they were to install

i am running a stock blower no porting stock manifold pushing 15lbs and lots of belt slip and a blown headgasket (blown headgasket makes no sense on my setup)

i am running a stock blower no porting stock manifold pushing 15lbs and lots of belt slip and a blown headgasket (blown headgasket makes no sense on my setup)

What is your base compression ? I'm guessing 10:1 which is pretty high for 15 pounds of boost.

Suggest using a Snow meth injection system or reduce the timing, if you want to run that much boost.

David

Back