Valve spring question...

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
I just purchased a reground cam with .520 lift, along with some 7.2" pushrods. What I need to know is whether or not I should buy stiffer valve springs for any reasons besides prevention of valve float. I'm a newbie at engine geometry and just want to make sure that I won't need to take the engine back apart for a long time. The car will be moderately modified street car with seldom revs past 5000rpm, so I'm thinking that some new stock spec valve springs will be just fine. Please correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to offer any valve/spring/cam/lifter/pushrod/life advice. :D

I would def. go with a heavier duty spring.. The stock spring is most likely to light for that cam. If you do upgrade, watch out for coil bind though with the new spring.. have a speed shop compress the spring to install height and make sure there is no coil bind, or in other words the spring isnt touching itself when it is fully compressed to the spec of the cam.

Thanks for the reply. I know that if money weren't an issue, I wouldn't even be asking the question, but since it is, I want to know! :)

What exactly do you mean by "too light"? That they're not stiff enough? What kind of effects (negative) might I experience if I used the stock springs?

too light -not enough pressure -of a spring can lead to valve float in the upper rpm range which is never good

Back