How do you guys fix a loose alternator connection?

syphon

So after browsing these forums a bit, I've read about others having a problem I've encountered with my new SuperCoupe. While driving, the battery charge light will randomly come on... occasionally it'll flicker, but for the most part, its on more often than not.

I deduced that the light comes on whenever a connection between the alternator and battery is broken. I played around with the connector, but to no avail.

I believe the alternator is still good, its just not holding a good connection. I checked all the connectors and wires, everything looks in order. Its all firmly plugged in.

I've read about a few others having this same problem, and wondered what you guys did to fix it.

I really dont want to buy a new alternator if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

ALt

Hi,
I don't think its loose have it load tested. I found a Reman for our cars for $67.95 CORE price included ($15.00) Diode could be bad or it maybe a connection.. Get it tested.
Lee

Do I have to pull it out to have it bench tested? What are all the places you know of that will do that... I dont think we have any autozone's here.

Yes, you do need to take it out to have it bench tested. Easy to do. Remove the belt by holding the tensioner up. You need a 18mm socket and about 2 feet of leverage to do this without problems. Use a breaker bar or cheater bar. Then move the fuse box out of the way, disconnect the plug wires (mark them to remember where they go), remove the coil pack (2 10mm bolts I think), and then remove the hidden alternator bolt. The other 2 bolts are easy to access. Now, you might want to consider just removing the hidden bolt at home, then leaving it out, reassembling everything, then taking the car to a place which can test it.

So I've been driving the car for a couple days now, and the problem is very sporadic. Would a blown diode cause that? Occasionally, the battery light wont come on... the alternator works fine, and everything is wonderful.

Sometimes, the light comes on and off every few seconds.

Other times, it'll stay on for hours.

You need to get or borrow a voltmeter to see what the voltage is across the battery terminals whenever you have this problem. Keep it handy and when the light comes on and stays on, stop and check it out with the engine running. Should be 14V or better. It could be something as simple as a belt. Still wouldn't hurt to have it bench tested.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix as the problem often clears up before you can get any test gear to it :mad: Just gotta keep on trying.

Back