Got Codes

bowez

Its been acting up for about a week and finally got around to getting some codes:
Seem to be the important ones (got a BOO code too 75), this is assuming I read them right.

I'm thinking I need to change the plugs, would these codes produce similar affects. Can't rev over 3k in 3 or 4 and working its way into 2nd now, sounds like spark cutting out either knock/miss/detet.

I've back probed the ECT while the engine cold and get correct readings.

No was KOEO and CM codes. Well during testing yesterday and a plug wire boot sepperate so I changed them today--now runs horrible and will not get above 2000RPM (in Park). I followed the Hayes diagram on the firing order I can only assum that was right, but beside that I get no spark (put a timeing light on) 2-6, 3 (basiclly seems 6, plus passengers side). Check the Coil and got 14.3Kohms for 5-1 and 4-3 and 14.6Kohms at 2-6.

Seems like would now either be the Coil (will a 96 work) or ICM.

The numbers on the coil pack should be 123-465 and not 456. It's a common mistake to get them out of order. Make sure they are correct first. When the coil pack goes bad, it will kill two cylinders, 1&5, 2&6 or 3&4. If you've got two of those that aren't firing, I would think the coilpack might be bad. Make sure all the plug wires are in the coil pack and on the plugs good. Also make sure the connections at the DIS are good as well.

I made sure was 123 and 465.
I even used and old wire and plug to see spark and nothing on 2,6, and I know at least one other.

Plugs gaped to .054.

Last edited:
If it was just isolated to a matching pair, I would think coilpack, but since there is another cylinder you said wasn't getting spark, I would lean toward the DIS, either being bad or needing a new application of heatsink, that being that the wires and connections are all good. Some Autozones can test the DIS and coilpack for you to see if they are good or bad, before spending money on a part you might not need.

Check the Plugs for the Nth time this morning and 2/3 were swapped oops. Gave it a test drive and was fine for a while and codes came back this them seem to have been 3 digit.

KOEO
511 (thinking from chip)
and
CM
217 (coild 3 fail)

Off to get my 96 coil and see how we do.

511- Read only memory test failed

217- Coil 3 Primary circuit failure (DIS)

Still could be the DIS and not the coilpack.
Are you disconnecting the battery to clear the codes before you check them?

Put my spare coil pack on and she's running just fine save still not being able to get above 3k, put I think thats a Octane issue.

Well its back, running lean no power. Pulled KOER codes and get both banks lean and insuffiecent RPM. Changed fuel filter no help and fuel psi at idle is 40PSI and climbs to ~50-60.
Codes: 172, 137, 538

Check for vacum leak with starter fluid and found none.

Last edited:
The fuel pressure sounds about right. The lean codes could be due to bad o2 sensors. But don't go buy any yet. I'm sure someone else may have some more info for you.

Also is there a way to test the O2, Crank position, Cam postition without a Labscope/oscilioscpoe.

I'm not sure about testing the O2 sensors, but usually when the crank sensor is bad, the upshift light will stay on when cranking the car. The tach will be jumping around most of the time when the cam sensor is bad.

Got the manual form FordCD.net and 172/137 are linked and just need to ingore 538 (no WOT input).
172 Right Lean, 137 Left Rich, odd thing is Ford says check PCV and oil.

The WOT one is due to a propt during the KOER test, you have to goose the throttle during the test and if you don't, you'll get that code. Not sure about the pvc one though.

Well I changed the oil and it seemed to fix it. Had issues pulling into place changed it and fired up fine after was done.

There is still something different/not right but don't know what it is yet.

Idle seems to bounce, hopping just need to relearn from all the lean/rich condition.

Last edited:
bowez said:
Well I changed the oil and it seemed to fix it. Had issues pulling into place changed it and fired up fine after was done.

There is still something different/not right but don't know what it is yet.

Idle seems to bounce, hopping just need to relearn from all the lean/rich condition.

Did you disconnect the battery to reset the codes?

Back