Moving Power Distribution Box

Dahoopd

How many have tackled this. I was going to move the battery to the trunk but if I cant move the PDB, then its really not worth it since it blocks the hideous amount of wires to it.

I was thinking about relocating it to the trunk.

I guess my concern is I have done a Helluva lot of hacking and splicing in the engine bay and this is the last piece I want to move. I dont understand OHMs, signals...etc. If I splice it and heatshrink it is it going to cause a problem with adding 10 foot of wire to each lead.

I hope you guys will provide some input, if it doesnt run when its done. There will be another SC with a lot of time and effort for sale.............once again. Yes, I tried to sell it but now its all or nothing. Please help me out.

I talked to you a little bit before about extending wires in the engine bay, etc etc ..

But yeah, I relocated my power distribution box behind the glove compartment in the dash. So it was only necessary to extend the wires that went to the engine compartment ( of which, I eliminated ALOT of accessories, wipers, cruise control, etc.. ). If you move the whole box, you will need to extend those, as well as the wires that go to the dash, which is ALOT of wires.

- Dan

Other folks have just fabricated dress plates out of stainless steel or aluminum to cover the whole area over there.

Running those high current wires from the trunk to the front of the engine would require some special consideration for the wire, not to mention you'd want to protect them.

I am one of the "other folks" that covered the area with an alum panel. I moved the battery to the trunk and than I turned the box 90 degrees so it was parrallel to the fender. More just to make room for other changes like my reservoir for the menthol injection.

Ken

Dahoopd said:
How many have tackled this. I was going to move the battery to the trunk but if I cant move the PDB, then its really not worth it since it blocks the hideous amount of wires to it.

I was thinking about relocating it to the trunk.

I guess my concern is I have done a Helluva lot of hacking and splicing in the engine bay and this is the last piece I want to move. I dont understand OHMs, signals...etc. If I splice it and heatshrink it is it going to cause a problem with adding 10 foot of wire to each lead.

I hope you guys will provide some input, if it doesnt run when its done. There will be another SC with a lot of time and effort for sale.............once again. Yes, I tried to sell it but now its all or nothing. Please help me out.

I think you will find that's it's much easier to relocate the box to beneath where the battery is currently sitting and make some type of dress up panel to cover it up and allow access. Take a look at Micah Miller's (aka Micahdogg) car.

David

On a 93, the abs is below the battery location, so I don't know if there is enough room for anything more there.

Could cut into the fender well area and slip it over there a tad and dress it up with a panel I bet.

Mike8675309 said:
On a 93, the abs is below the battery location, so I don't know if there is enough room for anything more there.

Could cut into the fender well area and slip it over there a tad and dress it up with a panel I bet.

Mike,

Wouldnt that cause a problem with water getting in there like the air cleaner being in the fender. I dont know much about the electrical aspect in cars. If I moved it to the trunk, would it cause a problem with the signal because of the wire length? I have no clue.

Signal is not an issue cause the gauge used is suffeicent to reach the trunk with no significant volts drop.

You could rig something like they already do for the cruise control electronics. You have a plastic splash shield in there already.
This from my old 89
rightfrontnofender.jpg

Mike8675309 said:
You could rig something like they already do for the cruise control electronics. You have a plastic splash shield in there already.
This from my old 89
rightfrontnofender.jpg

Mike,

Do you have any idea where that feeds to. Does it go into the fender well near the mastercylinder. I dont want the wires to be seen at all. I was going to pull it through the firewall but it its shorter the other way that will help.

bowez said:
Thanks, no one else answered that

Yeah the Cruise control cables and wiring goes through the fender into the engine compartment.

When I moved my wires on the driver's side, I made a new hole in the kick panel into the fender part of the firewall, but that was a pain with all of those wires going through there

- Dan

Yeah, they go into engine compartment on the back side of the fender well. They are kinda stiff so it needs to make a pretty open radius on the loop.

My thought was you'd still use some sort of dress plates to cover things. The welds and crimps on the fender there behind all that are not all that clean.

My PDB is tucked under the front right behind the headlight. I also moved my starter relay under there with it. I didn't have to cut any wires. I just bundled them up along the top of the driver side framerail. I have that whole areawhere the battery used to be completely open. I just relocated the stock mounting plate for the PDB to the new location. Here's pics of mine
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=518118&postcount=25

Last edited:
Jeremy_K said:
My PDB is tucked under the front right behind the headlight. I also moved my starter relay under there with it. I didn't have to cut any wires. I just bundled them up along the top of the driver side framerail. I have that whole areawhere the battery used to be completely open. I just relocated the stock mounting plate for the PDB to the new location. Here's pics of mine
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=518118&postcount=25

Thanks for the pic.Thats what I want the side to look like. The passenger side is wide open.

Back