3rd gear grinding

auto or manual. Grinds entering the gear or throughout? You cant expect a answer with a question that HAS NO DETAILS as you write

3rd gear grinds going in and out of 3rd, it's a manual, it was fine when i first had it, but the first trip to the track i must have been hard on it. if it is the synchro's how much do these cost to replace and is it a difficult job.

thanks

yep, you wore the synchro ring down, pretty typical of higher mileaged SC's... If you search, you'll find this has been discussed many times in more detail..

Time for a rebuild. If you keep grinding it you'll screw up the slider, which is no longer available from Ford, so I suggest you start skipping 3rd gear before you're left with an un-rebuildable paperweight.

I had grinding problems with just over 84,000 miles. Turned out my synchrose were fine. Guy who owned the car before me had 80w90 gear oil in the thing first off. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the grinding, though I believe it did. Second thing, my shifter was/still is, junk and needs a B&M short throw before I drive it again.

I think I would try changing the fluid first before just tearing it down.

Back