PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ CEL

SuperCoupe007
09-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I know this is not SC related, but I was hoping someone could help me out on this. OK. Its an 01' E-250 w/ a 4.2L V-6 I ran the OBD II scanner and got a "P0302" 'Cylinder 2 Misfire'. I changed the spark plugs (gapped them to .054") and new wires, and cleared the codes. After 30 miles or so, the CEL came back on. Ran codes and got the same code 'P0302' ?????? Anybody have any experience with these ???? :confused: :confused: :confused: I dunno if this is a common problem on these. I checked the wires, and none of them are touching anything. I need to pass smog inorder to get the tags..
Need your help guys...
Thanks....
:o

chazzwozzle
09-16-2006, 03:18 AM
are you able to notice a misfire? such as during idle or under load?does the light stay ever begin to flash? well you know the problem is in #2 cylinder, and you have replaced plugs and wires to no avail. maybe an injector? if its not to much truble, you can swap #2 with the easiest one to get to and see if the misfire follows the injector. i have heard that "certain" 4.2 liters tend to leak coolant from the intake gaskets into one or more cylinders.this can be verified by pressurising the cooling system to about 16 psi and see if it holds pressure, if not and there are no external leaks, then probably a leaky intake gasket.

Joisey Jim
09-16-2006, 11:46 AM
My experience with OBD II misfire codes has usually resulted in replacing the coil pack. As you are only getting it on one cylinder do you have individual coil packs on each plug wire. I know my son's F150 has this configuration and we've had to replace them (not cheap though).

SuperCoupe007
09-19-2006, 01:14 AM
chazzwozzle When the van is idling or under load i cant notice it misfire. The CEL doesnīt flash, it just comes on and stays on. The coolant level doesnīt change. I too the van on an over 200 mile trip and the coolant level didintīchange a bit. I will swap out injector 2 with injector 3 and see how that works out. How difficult is it to swap out both injectors

Joisey Jim The vann had only one coil pack for all the cylinders (just like the ones in our scīs). Would a coil pack from an SC be a direct bold on
Is there any way to test out the coil thats on the van right now

Thanks...

Joisey Jim
09-19-2006, 11:00 AM
I doubt if it's the coil pack then, because regular packs are normally linked in pairs (except the F150 which has those individual ones on each plug wire) so you'd get 2 misfires on the CEL code (like cylinders 2 & 4). I'm also sure the SC coil pack is different to your van, especially as you have the later OBD 11 computer. My best guess now would be the plug or wire to the cylinder that comes up on the CEL. Have you by any chance changed the plugs or taken the wires off recently? You can check the resistance of the wires and the primary & secondary windings on the coil pack; but you'll need the specs. So you might want to check out something like a Haynes manual for that info.

mywhite89
09-19-2006, 11:47 AM
He changed those already, no change, light still coming on.

let us know on switching the injectors, maybe yours is dirty or something.

chazzwozzle
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
chazzwozzle When the van is idling or under load i cant notice it misfire. The CEL doesnīt flash, it just comes on and stays on. The coolant level doesnīt change. I too the van on an over 200 mile trip and the coolant level didintīchange a bit. I will swap out injector 2 with injector 3 and see how that works out. How difficult is it to swap out both injectors

Joisey Jim The vann had only one coil pack for all the cylinders (just like the ones in our scīs). Would a coil pack from an SC be a direct bold on
Is there any way to test out the coil thats on the van right now

Thanks...
i dont quite remember what the injector set up looks like an an e-250, so you may want to purchase a haynes manual or sumthing, they usually have lotsa pictures.if the intake manifold isnt in the way then more than likely its just a couple of screws holding the fuel rail down.usually when a coil goes out in the coil pack, you will have a misfire in the two corresponding cylinders, however my friend tells me he has seen a few cases when the problem is in the "tower" portion of the coil(where the plug wire is attached to) and causing a misfire in only one cylinder.

bowez
09-19-2006, 06:40 PM
All 3.8 Coil pack are the same the only difference is OBDII replace the ICM. I'm thinking your an my problem may be linked.

SuperCoupe007
09-19-2006, 10:30 PM
chazzwozzle So if the problem is in the `tower ` would replacing the coil pack help resolve this

I will also look to see what I need to do to swap out injecetor 2 and 3.

Thanks

bowez
09-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I doubt it but check the resistence between 2/6 first if great then 14Kohms, the it might.

SuperCoupe007
09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
I checked the resistance in the coil pack as you guys recommended. The resistance between cyl. #2 & #6 was 10.27K Ohms. I also went ahead and checked the resistance between cyl. #3 & #4 and it was 10.30K Ohms. Since the resistance between these two is similar, I assume that the problem might not be the coil pack, but an injector as you guys had mentioned. I looked at the setup to see how difficult it would be to swap out injectors, and it seems it will be a loooooooooong day. Well I think that I will swap out injector #2 with injector #6. I'll see how things go...
Thanks....
:)