Temperature gauge question

tww

Hello All:

I have an 89 XR7 with 55K miles. I am having a weird problem with the temp gauge. The
previous one was broken (along with the anti-slosh module). I got a used dash from another
XR7 from ebay. My mechanic put the ebay gauge and anti-slosh module in. The problem
is when I drive the car around the city for about 45 minutes, the gauge will reach right
towards the middle or better (around the RM part of NORM). Then the CHECK GAGES light
will come on. It is only reproduceable on longer drives as the car has a chance to really heat
up. Is the new gauge right? Is my car running too hot? Is the cooling system not keeping pace?
What do your temperature gauges show? The problem seems to be worse if I don't use the air
conditioning. I suspect it is related to the dual-speed fan. Can the CHECK GAGES light be
disabled?

Thanks,

T W

tww said:
Hello All:

I have an 89 XR7 with 55K miles. I am having a weird problem with the temp gauge. The
previous one was broken (along with the anti-slosh module). I got a used dash from another
XR7 from ebay. My mechanic put the ebay gauge and anti-slosh module in. The problem
is when I drive the car around the city for about 45 minutes, the gauge will reach right
towards the middle or better (around the RM part of NORM). Then the CHECK GAGES light
will come on. It is only reproduceable on longer drives as the car has a chance to really heat
up. Is the new gauge right? Is my car running too hot? Is the cooling system not keeping pace?
What do your temperature gauges show? The problem seems to be worse if I don't use the air
conditioning. I suspect it is related to the dual-speed fan. Can the CHECK GAGES light be
disabled?

Thanks,

T W

One of my pet peeves about cooling an SC is the radiator. Make sure the system is full and leave the cap off. With the engine running, goose the throttle and see if water spits out the filler neck. If it does then the radiator isn't flowing near what it's supposed to and should be rodded out. About 50-60 at most shops for this service.

Also, the "check engine" light can be associated with other things including EGR etc. Between the R & M isn't really that bad depending on ambient temp. Where are you located? What color is that rare Cat of yours?

'bird

tbird88 said:
One of my pet peeves about cooling an SC is the radiator. Make sure the system is full and leave the cap off. With the engine running, goose the throttle and see if water spits out the filler neck. If it does then the radiator isn't flowing near what it's supposed to and should be rodded out. About 50-60 at most shops for this service.

Also, the "check engine" light can be associated with other things including EGR etc. Between the R & M isn't really that bad depending on ambient temp. Where are you located? What color is that rare Cat of yours?

'bird

Thanks for the tip. I will try this.

T W

Last edited:
Back