'97 T-Bird 3.8 MLS Head Gaskets

Kevin Varnes

Has anyone else noticed that the '97 T-Bird 3.8 calls for the MLS head gasket? I've only seen reference to the MLS used on '98+ Mustangs and F-150 4.2's up to this point. The reason I bring this up is I'm currently doing a head gasket job on a friend's '96 (apparently now) T-Bird with the 3.8. Not knowing the specific year of his car and assuming the 96 and 97's were the same when I ordered the gasket set I got the '97s. Much to my surprise when I opened the package they are the MLS's. Anyways, I had the heads milled and I guess I'll take a second look at the block deck. I also noticed that the MLS gaskets have a different torque sequence that the regular old Fel-Pros. Hopefully everything should be okay seeing as how this is just a regular n/a 3.8 Just thought I would throw this bit of trivia out there in case anyone is interested.

Hi Mike,
These are Fel-Pro MLS Gaskets (purchased from Advance). I believe the torque pattern is the same, but you take it to a lower final torque before the torque angle value. The torque angle value is then higher (180 degrees versus 85-105 degrees). I got the torque sequence from the Autozone.com website.

I just found it strange that the '97 T-Birds got the MLS gaskets stock. I was always under the impression that all MN12 3.8's used the old standby Fel-Pros and the MLS gaskets started in '98. Through searching I didn't see any mention of the MN12's ever getting them. The Fel-Pro gasket box references 97-98 RWD 3.8

I bet Fel-pro is just trying to obsolete the 96/97 so they can have one less product line.

Well I chickened out and put the Fel-Pro Blue Stripes on it. I just didn't have the confidence that the MLS gaskets would seal against the surface finish that I had on the block. If it were my car I would have just thrown it together and hoped for the best, but this is a friend's car. Anyway I know this isn't SC specific, but hopefully there is some useful information in here.

The Mustang gaskets that I use are 96-98 Mustang so it follows that the 96 Bird might be the same. Good catch though, I never thought of asking for the Bird gaskets. I guess the water passages on the 96/7 bird are the same as the SC?

Dave,
I'd have to check on the water passages. I just went to the parts store and got head gaskets for a '96 T-Bird and they were the blue stripes. I can dig up the P/N's if anyone is interested. Did Ford have a low/no failure rate after they switched to the MLS gaskets? Not sure if I've ever heard of a '97 T-Bird/Cougar 3.8 with blown HG's, but I haven't really been paying attention.

In my research the only difference between 96-98 and SC heads is the SC have 8mm valve steam and the other are 7mm.

Back