Front strut, Rear shock questions...

89SCK@t

I have the ability to get some Monroe quick struts for 96/97 sport birds and Cobra rear shocks (Monroe).

Has anyone dealt with the Monroe shock/strut with any luck?

Only reason I am asking is because I can get the Cobra shocks for about $35 a piece, and the quick struts for around $150 a piece. The great thing about the quick strut is that it is a direct bolt in. I wouldn't have to deal with a strut cartridge, or buying any strut mounts, etc, etc. All I would have to do is change the springs. The best thing of all is that they carry a lifetime warranty.

I was looking into it because of the price.

96/97 Sport Tbird - List 308.92 My price 152.64
03 Cobra Convertible shocks - List 62.85 My price 35.65

Thanks,

Stephen

I wasn't aware that cobra shocks fit in the rear?

I had Gabriel Ultra's on my black SC when I installed the eibach springs. They ride nice but I am going to use KYB's on my silver SC.

The Gabriels feel weak and they only have like 28,000 miles on them.

Then again they aren't engineered for performance or to be constantly compressed (lowered). The Monroe's will be the same way, comfort shocks. Not performance shocks.

KYB isn't a catridge, it's a bolt in. Koni's are the only ones I know of that are cartridge type in the front.

Everywhere I look they call the front a strut because it looks like a FWD strut, but technically it's a coil over shock. But you probably knew that. We can get the quick struts here at work but I wouldn't put them on my car. The KYB's are cheaper, look on tirerack or scp.

The monroe cobras have to be valved the same as OE, right? I mean, what cobra owner wants to have a softer ride? Then again, people use mustangs as child transporters...:rolleyes:

I was looking at the Monroe rears because I really do not want to spend 102 dollars a piece for dealer shocks.

Last edited:
Are the cobra's setup like ours? Do you intend to retain the actuators. If not I'd recommend getting KYB's. They are like $50 or $75 ea/ for the fronts and even less for the rears. You can get all 4 for right around $200.

Even then you can get some new springs if you so chose. H&R or Eibach around $250 each, still cheaper than what you were planning and handling would be much improved.

Personally I don't like the factory ride control the ride is too unpredictable. I like knowing how the car is going to react so I went with non-adjustable shocks, they handle the same in all conditions no matter what.

I have used Monroe shocks on a few vehicles with good results, not on the tbird yet though.

This winter however I will be putting 89 Tbird LX monroe shocks into the rear of the SC

I don't intended to retain the ride control, I have read and rode in a couple birds with 96/97 sport struts, and cobra rear shocks, I liked how they caused the car ride. Stiffer than the firm ride.

I guess my question to you is this:

Do you plan to lower the bird? If not then you will be fine with just a standard LX style shock. I guess if you just want to pop the fronts in quickly you can get the quick struts but they are more expensive than a performance strut so I don't personally see why you'd waste the money if you or shop has spring compressors. Unless your stock springs are broken and you want to go back to stock. If your front springs are fine, and you want stock ride height, it's still cheaper to get a standard LX front or a non adjustable performance front. Just some stuff to ponder.

89SCK@t said:
I don't intended to retain the ride control, I have read and rode in a couple birds with 96/97 sport struts, and cobra rear shocks, I liked how they caused the car ride. Stiffer than the firm ride.

i would get the cobra shocks from ford theyre bilsteins , and should be about 60 bucks each.

Back