magnum powers intercooler

gtx446

good morning... quick question. has anyone out there installed a magnum powers frt mounted intercooler and lowered their card
s with lowering springs? reason asking,is that when i drive around town the car runs at a normal temperature,but when i am driving on the fhighway,65mph the car runs very hot..3/4's toward hot..but then i drive around town car runs normal..am i getting enough air to cool the motor cause the car is lowered,does the intercooler affect the temp? anyone with a similar experience and what did they do to correct this? any info will be appreciated.. thx v.besides this the car is awesome//

gtx446 said:
good morning... quick question. has anyone out there installed a magnum powers frt mounted intercooler and lowered their card
s with lowering springs? reason asking,is that when i drive around town the car runs at a normal temperature,but when i am driving on the fhighway,65mph the car runs very hot..3/4's toward hot..but then i drive around town car runs normal..am i getting enough air to cool the motor cause the car is lowered,does the intercooler affect the temp? anyone with a similar experience and what did they do to correct this? any info will be appreciated.. thx v.besides this the car is awesome//

My car is lowered and has the MP FMIC. Even with a Griffin aluminum radiator, optional pusher fan and a GM air dam, mine will run hot if I use the AC when outside temps are above 90 degrees.

With the AC off it runs cool all the time. When I had a stock radiator it ran hot all the time...especially when getting on the highway. If you don't have an aluminum radiator....get one, they work great.

David

intercooler

thx for response dave...when i was driving,the weather was only about 75 to 80 degrees.and i did not have the ac on..i was told that if i take out the lowering springs my problem would be elliminated,, more air would get to the motor..i also have a pusher fan that comes on automatically at 210 degrees..what air dam are you talking about? thx v

gtx446 said:
thx for response dave...when i was driving,the weather was only about 75 to 80 degrees.and i did not have the ac on..i was told that if i take out the lowering springs my problem would be elliminated,, more air would get to the motor..i also have a pusher fan that comes on automatically at 210 degrees..what air dam are you talking about? thx v

I don't think your lowering springs have anything to do with the cooling problems your having. The lack of an air dam will make it run hotter on the highway. You can get one that's taller than stock from GM (fits grand AM and caviler). Sounds like yours is probably missing, so that may be all you need.

This thread has some pictures and the part number of the GM air dam.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32913&highlight=air+dam+install

David

A quart of water wetter will also help, but like David said, you definitely need to have a air dam under the nose.

Mike

ONE modification I made to the GM air dam is on the outside flaps.
I folded them forward and up and re attached them to the inside of the front Bumpercover and through the back of the air dam agian , this tilts the air dam forward like a chin spoiler and helps if the car is lowered. When I get on the highway and cruise no matter how I flog it the temps go down, so It must be working.. you'll under stand about the Flaps when you put it on.\\
Itt required drillin two holes completely through teh flaps Bumpercover and air dam on each side. I attched them with the black plastic ford Push connectors that hold the bumpercover at certain points.

Back