help before i go crazy!!!! found it!!!

johnlx302

i just got a creaking sound in the d/s front wheel area on tues only while turning (you can hear it from 2 blocks away) about 4 mos ago i replaced the lower ball joint and the stabilizer bushings on both sides. i shook down the front end and found the rack was worn out and the upper ball joint so i replaced them on wed. still nothing changed with this terrable noise. so today i replaced the outer tie rod end the endlink and cranked down the subframe bolts nothing appears loose!!! i'm pulling my hair out this should be a walk in the park for me.... any help would be greatly appreciated

tks
john

Last edited:
Upper control arms make a scrunching sound when the bushings are worn, especially in cold weather. Mine looked fine but after replacing them...there are no more annoying sounds.

David

mine makes the same noise after new upper a arms, and endlinks...I would have to say it would be the strut mounts. Since the noise only happens when you turn...

does it sound like a *pop* once you get to a certain position in the wheel? spring could be binding...

i have a similar popping sound

and ive looked, and besides the spring thing^^^, id look at the body mounts

socket size E-18 tighten them up to good. should be 4 on each side.

found the noise..... it's the 2 month old wheel bearing that i installed at 137 ft lbs!!!! i swapped it with the other side and now the noise is on the pass side!!!! i will be getting that part warrantied tomorrow!!!! thanks for your concern everyone....

tks

john:)

I was going to suggest that after reading the symptoms, but you already figured it out, :)

Mine was doing the same thing intermittently.

I was going to say...if you have a squeak or a pop on hard turn especially in the 89 and 90's it's most likely the front hub bearing assembly..a really bad design in the 89/90 then ford changed it..eventually they all do it..both of mine did..new bearing hub assemblies (Its all one piece on these 2 years) fixed it..
Rick

Back