Rear brakes on 93 SC

Hfire3

Has anyone here had major problems trying to screw in the calipers on the rear brakes? The boots that surround the caliper on my SC were in bad shape, so the piston looks rusty and is hard as heck to turn. I tried the needle nose pliers, then used the little block( purchased at O'Reilys) that has the multiple pin configurations. Most of what I have managed to do is scratch up the piston and I still need another 1/2 inch of clearance to clear the rotor and pads. Are there rebuild kits offered that include the piston and boots? Or are you better purchasing an after market caliper assembly? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I don't know if there are rebuild kits available for them or not. From my experience on stuff like that you're usually better off just buying the rebuilt/remanned version from the store. It's easier and at least that way if it doesn't work then you have some recourse with the store you bought it from.

Are you trying to push in as you screw the piston in?

rear brakes

I did rear brakes once. You just gotta fight through it if you don't have the special tool to wind the piston in. I used a needle nose pliers if I remember correctly. I had no power left in my hands when I was done winding them in, thats for sure! Be careful to not damage the seal

Here's a tip...

Be sure to open the bleed valve on the caliper before you try to screw in the piston (I use one of those plastic bleeder cups with the tube connected to the valve to catch the fluid). If you don't release the pressure, its a real pain to crank the piston down... A little shot of WD40 on the piston helps too...

Brakes cont.

Guys, I went ahead and pulled the calipers off the car, so I can inspect their condition more thoroughly and they will be easier to work on. I will clean them and check for any pitting. O'Reilly's sells a caliper rebuild kit for about 8.50, not a bad price when compared to reman or new caliper. Thanks for everybody's input.

Back