Died At Stop Sign

1990tbirdsc

i have a 90 t-bird sc ......../ today it died at a stop sign ,,,,, and now when and if i get it started if i keep on the gas it will surge up and down ,,, and then will die after about 1minute ,,,, i dont know whats wrong ... the fuel is 40psi on the rail .... and i just changed the harmonic balancer and bolt and crank sensor and cam sensor ,,,,,,,, its been running fine for 3 days since i fixed it and now it quit again ,,,,,,,,,,

Pull any codes and see if the thing is bitching about something. Did you replace the key for the crank when you replaced the balancer? The way you describe it, I've got a gut feeling that the balancer moved on the end of the crank, unless you feel that it went on tight (like it should) and the key was replaced.

harmonic balancer broke again ,,,,

i jaked her up today after it broke ,,,, and it turns out that the harmonic balancer broke again at the sleeve ,,,,,, soo im gonna go with a bhj balancer this time ,,,,,,, i dont have the money ..but i guess i have to ,,,,

but i dont know what im going to do it the bhj balancer breaks ,,,,

do i have to get new underdrive pulleys with the bhj balancer or can i use what i have .????..

FUTURE ADVICE TO EVERYONE ............ DO NOt..!! use a used harmonic balancer ,,,

Did you installed a used balancer, or oem new?

If it was used then yah, I can see why it failed. If it was oem new take it in to be warrantied and make sure you install it properly

spending money the right way

:) no ,, it was used ,, ... but there was nothin wrong with it ,,,,, like i said im going to get a bhj balan:) cer and 10% MP underdrive pulley ,,and maybe a SC pulley

Doesn't matter, as soon as you put a used balancer on you're pretty much giving yourself a max of 5,000km before it breaks.

I took a chance and mine lasted 800km

question for the guys that had failed HB's

Hey did you use loctite when you reinstalled them?
And how did you go about torquing the bolt, was another party holding the flexplate/flywheel? Or did you use the drivetrain to hold the engine still?
Just curious to seewhat works and what does not...

paul

A pry bar through the inspection plate into a spot that will hold the flywheel or the flexplate still.

don't use an impact, and my goodness, do not... do not use locktite.

Use a new key in the keyway, and validate the dimensions of the crankshaft snout and center of the new BHJ to make sure you don't need to have the balancer honed.

Once you are sure of the dimensions, take the balancer and stick it in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes. then take it out and slip it over the crank. Don't do the heating up thing until you're sure of the dimensions. if it's too tight and you get it on by using the heat, you'll never get it off down the road.

1990tbirdsc said:
i jaked her up today after it broke ,,,, and it turns out that the harmonic balancer broke again at the sleeve ,,,,,, soo im gonna go with a bhj balancer this time ,,,,,,, i dont have the money ..but i guess i have to ,,,,

but i dont know what im going to do it the bhj balancer breaks ,,,,

do i have to get new underdrive pulleys with the bhj balancer or can i use what i have .????..

FUTURE ADVICE TO EVERYONE ............ DO NOt..!! use a used harmonic balancer ,,,

How can you tell the balancer is broke? I would think it would break past the oil seal on the timing cover?

How was the car running after you put the used balancer on? Did the engine vibrate at all? Had you gotten into boost after installing the used balancer?
Hard to beleive that it would break this quick under normal driving. Just trying to determine if the crank is somehow damaged.

Jerry

It's not that hard to believe. Two things come into play on used balancers failing.

1) The stock balancer uses an aluminum center hub.
2) Variations in crankshaft snout dimensions.

This ends up causing the balancer center hub to get expanded over time. So take a balancer off a crank that has a slightly larger snout and stick it on one that's slightly smaller and you end up with failure soon enough.

Mike8675309 said:
It's not that hard to believe. Two things come into play on used balancers failing.

1) The stock balancer uses an aluminum center hub.
2) Variations in crankshaft snout dimensions.

This ends up causing the balancer center hub to get expanded over time. So take a balancer off a crank that has a slightly larger snout and stick it on one that's slightly smaller and you end up with failure soon enough.

He used the original balancer that was on the car in 2002.

i can tell that the harmonic balancer is broken because i looked ...and the metal is all chipped up and broken .... and yes ... ofcourse i got into the boost ..and it was running perfect after i fixed it the first time ,,,, no vibrations ,, everything worked good ...

the bhj is all steel it wont break your troubles will be over , i used stock pulley on bhj . my original hb lasted around 215 k miles ,then i got a used oem hb i put on lasted around 6 months prob 3000 miles , then i got a good bhj it fit perfect no honing or heating involved

Last edited:
Back