Head Gasket Questions

SlurpyGuyMD

Okay.. I have Blown Head Gaskets, Lots of people do. If I replace them with the updated Fel-Pro gaskets, put in the recommended head studs and nuts, mill the heads, check the block surface for warpage, and cross my fingers, what are the chances of another head gasket blow out? This will only happen once.

Thanks

the gaskets were faulty, so if you use the Felpros and torque everything down properly and the heads and block were square you should be fine now.

As long as you don't boost to much, like putting a 10% pulley on without proper exhaust then you'll be fine.

Last time I bought a set they were around $130. That is the complete upper engine gasket set, not just the head gaskets themselves.

So.. that $130 is just for the head gaskets, and my $200 was for the entire top end set? I guess I need the entire top end set..

thanks

Fel Pro pricing

I paid (US Dollars) around $115 for the complete set required to do headgaskets which includes the intake manifold gasket and all other required gaskets. If your block and head surface is good, you do a clean job (cleanliness is the most important part of the job) are really careful not to bend gaskets, do some extra insurance things such as some good adhesives, extra stage in torquing, using studs, some porting on the heads and exhaust manifolds at least, and pay attention to exhaust, fuel (remember detonation is a big factor in headgasket failure, exhaust and surface imperfections are big factors but running lean will blow hg's), and temperature, you shouldn't have any future headgasket problems. That is not a guarantee, luck maintenence, driving style and more are other big factors. Changing coolant and fuel filters will greatly increase headgasket life.

One tip, I've had the best luck getting valve covers to seal by using the ford gaskets rtv'd both sides then use a light thread locker on the bolts. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Adam Mullen
The SC Kid

Back