Car starts when I pull headlight switch

Slysc

Last shootout, when I left my hoodpins out and took the car for a test drive, the hood smashed through the windshield and broke my instrument panel.

I found a new IP but it was out of a 90 auto and my car is a 91 manual. When I put the IP in, the wiring didn't match perfectly so I too the IP back out and swapped wiring harnesses from the old IP into the new IP. While I was doing this, I found a bundle of wires I didn't like and (I really don't know what I was thinking) figured it was extra or something. So I cut it off. When I installed the IP with the old harness, I quickly found out that the bundle that I cut off had the leads that went to the trans and the radio. So the neutral safety switch wasn't attached and prevented the car from starting. I would have just mounted a remote switch to start the car but I really can't go without the radio. So I pulled the IP back out of the car and put the 90 auto harness back in the IP. When I installed that, I plugged it in and the headlights were on. When I checked out the headlight switch, it was in the off position. When I turn it to the on position, the starter kicks in (!!??). This is REALLY messed up. I guess I need to find another 91 manual trans wire harness and then go through the whole mess again.:mad:

the car

Pablo94SC said:
That's definitely an interesting mod! Still, I'm curious how it starts without a key in the car.

sounds like a good anti-theft device as long as it is daylight. I would think that it wont start with the key right now, correct?

Last edited:
I think I would check a wiring diagram before I did anything else. Some of the pins probably changed. Maybe you can just switch pins around and make it work fine.

mywhite89 said:
sounds like a good anti-theft device as long as it is daylight.

lmao!
Cutting is bad, very VERY BAD!
Have you tried to splice it back together?
You might need a whole new harness now, but I hope not!
good luck,
paul

Last edited:
if you want i have a chilton manual for the 89-93 cars that some guy shipped me when i drive a 95 so if you want it and are willing to pay shipping its all yours just pm me if it sounds good

cody

So what is the big deal anyway? All cars used to have a starter switch. And driving with your light on promotes safety! :p :D I think it's just another cool mod! :cool:

Ira

If I could find which turn signal will shut the lights off, I probably wouldn't mind. The only problem is that the pinouts are probably different between the 90 and the 91 and so I might have high current going through thin wires which could cause a "thermal event". I'm due a disaster every shootout so maybe that could be this years side show.:rolleyes:

Slysc said:
If I could find which turn signal will shut the lights off, I probably wouldn't mind. The only problem is that the pinouts are probably different between the 90 and the 91 and so I might have high current going through thin wires which could cause a "thermal event". I'm due a disaster every shootout so maybe that could be this years side show.:rolleyes:
So are you saying I need to bring an extra fire extinguisher?:rolleyes:

Whew...that sounds like a crappy situation. Sorry, but just throwin some cyber-sympathy your way.

Micah

I found a guy with a 92 SC 5 speed IP in his attic. Although I only need the harness, I bought the whole IP cause he really didn't want to be left with an IP with no harness.

I pulled the harness out of it and swapped it into my IP and put it in place last night. Tonight I'll plug it in and see if there are any more surprises.

Back