Rpm

wingzeroac195

SCCoA Member
OK guys the other day I started my 1993 SC and started driving, suddenly the engine light came on, I looked and the RPM gauge was not working at all, then after a minute the RPM gauge kick on and the light went off, but after that once in a while the engine light comes on, the RPM gauge still works, and then after like 30sec the light goes off, and comes out later or doesnot come up at all. usually it happens after a light stop, but the car feels fine, just it regular vibration, any ideas?//??????

if the tach quits its the cam sensor, if the motor dies its your crank sensor/harmonic balancer.
check down there for the bolt in the middle, is it tight?
keep a close eye on that area of the motor....

paul

When my DIS module went bad it would do that, lose the tach signal, but I never got a CEL. Definitely try the cam sensor 1st, though. I tried both a crank and cam sensor on mine before I tried the DIS on a whim and it fixed the problem. It always ran Ok, I just had an intermittent tach.

It's mounted on the timing chain cover behind the harmonic balancer. Access is from the bottom. There is a plug about 8" up the cable.

Back