weird feeling

thundrburd

I'm going to describe this the best I can, hopefully it is good enough, when driving my sc the steering feels weird, it almost feels like when your driving on a really windy day, and your going straight, but you can feel the car blowing around, well even on non windy days my car feels like that, does anyone know what is wrong with it ? the steering feels tight but it almost feels like the tires move back and forth a little, I am at a loss of what could be wrong, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Also could be an alignment issue or your tires need to be balanced, Doesnt sound like a bad issue. Should be easy to fix. Check the easy things first.

well it feels like its the problem is with the front end, but I got new tires on about 3 months ago, but I need new rear tires so I will do that and see if that takes care of it, if not, where is the rear axle nut ?? I am still learning this car so if you could let me know where it is that would be great.

Thanks

My money is on rear wheel bearings.......jack the rear up and try to shake the wheel by grabbing it at 12 and 6.......also try grabbing it at 3 and 9 and shaking. if it wobbles you need bearings if it goes up and down.....or bushings if it wobble left to right.

The rear axle nut is just behind the center cap cover in the middle. It is the easiest thing to check first. The wheel bearings could be shot, but the nut could be loose as well.

When you bought new tires did you have the alignment checked? What was the wear pattern on the old tires? You might want to get a helper to move the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the components of the steering linkage. I would first look at the rack and pinion bushings. Does the rack move when you turn the wheel?
Later...Danny

Ok, just jacked up the car, and the back driver side moves alot both ways, up and down, and side to side, passenger side tire is good and tight, so I guess thats what the problem is. so the new questions is, how hard is it to replace ?? do I have to have someone professional do it , or could I ( some small repairs done and common sense) do it ?? is it really hard or just patience and common sense ?? thanks guys

I believe you'll need a 36mm socket. Somewhere on this site is a step by step procedure on how to replace the rear wheel bearings. You will probably need to employ a shop's services at some point to press the old one out and the new one in. Might not be a bad idea to print out the instructions and take them with you to the shop as well. You'll also need a new rear hub nut since they are one time use. I believe MotorMite/Dorman makes a replacement or they can be had at the Ford dealer if they are in stock.

*EDIT* I wouldn't drive it with a bad wheel bearing especially if it has as much play as you say it does.

A Ford dealer will be able to get the axle nut. I just went through a bad rear driver side wheel bearing about a month back. The stealership I went to actually had the axle nut in stock. I got a 36mm axle nut socket at Auto Zone. BTW, the axle nut on my 95 SC was loose. Although I couldn't turn it by hand, it turned with eaze when I put the socket on it.

Last edited:
Back