$5400 county fine for an SC.....Rant!

Dahoopd

My SC has been sitting almost a year now (slave blew) and has never been sitting with a damn flat or anything. I have been cosmetically doing everything to it since. I recently took the tags off two months ago. I even wash it every two weeks for the Sheeites and Giggles. Well someone has called because it is sitting. I have been here for two years and never had a problem. The county stops by and says it has to be moved while I am not home and says he will be back in a week. So to be a prick, I cover the car and post no trespassing signs.

Long story short. He comes back yesterday with a $5400 dollar fine for an untagged vehicle. The damn book value might be $400 if I am lucky. I have put my heart into this recently along with my pocket and now this. This is rediculous, this is also why I HATE MARYLAND AND ITS POLITICAL TAXING BS. (This is not a political thread, let that be stated).

I have found a new found love for my SC and now Maryland finds another way to defend the scamming of my taxes by some geek to harrass me and busting on my SC. Anyone that has seen the pics or the car KNOWS, its not a heap.

I was told the car could sit for 20 years with flats, no doors and a homeless SC lover in it. But as soon as someone in the neighborhood calls. Hang it up. "MOVE IT, OR GET FINED"

$5400?.......................Bite Me!

???????What?????????

thats crap man. i cannot believe that crap.

i hated the $35 ticket i got for parking in front of my house, on street cleaner day, or when my niehbor called the police stating i had a fire hazard (i know WTH?) becasue cars were in and around my driveway, parralel parked and all...

officers came over and i told him its my house, no way im moving the cars, he said fine as long as i wasnt complaining...

but that takes the cake man.
whats all that about karma huh?

i know you dont deserve this. we are all pricks when it comes to our cars and people trying to MAKE us do stuff...but thats some unjustified punishment.

Good luck with that.

Ive had my 94 SC sitting in front of my house for about a year now while the engine is being rebuilt, among other things.

Havent had one complaint, ever, out of all of the Tbirds I have had in front of my house not working ( about 3 or 4 over the past few years ) .. only thing I ever get is somebody trying to buy the car from under me !!

Here in Cali, its more of a City ordinance than a State law. They say you can have One car in front of your house not working ( as long as its registered, you can have it in the street .. not registered, driveway is fine ) .. I only ever have one car at a time not working, but I dont drive them all the time, most of the year my other cars sit. But I havent had one complaint, ever. My neighbor a few houses down has had some trouble with his car not being registered ( he has about 2 Mustangs not working at a time over there ) .. but thats about it.

Its all about your neighborhood and the local law enforcement. Sounds like you have some bad neighbors. I would find out who it is complaining and take things up with them.

- Dan

Fight it with everything you got. It's ridiculous to lay down that kind of fine on a car sitting. If it was in pieces and an eye sore, I could understand. But from what you say, it still looks good. Don't let them run over you like this.

hes gonna have to fight it how can they expect someone to shell out 5400 bucks and yet a sc owner come on they know we dont have that kinda cash:rolleyes:

In some states/towns it does actually. If it is viseable from the street, it has to be registered here in Lincoln. It's part of thier "junk car" ordienance.

Thomas

They would have to arrest me...

This is wrong on soooo many levels, I don't know where to start.

I'd like to know what kind of XXXXXXXXXcomplained about it... WT-F, over???

This law must be unconstitutional somehow...

This is still the best contry on earth, but I don't know long it will be if we let BS like this continue. This sort of thing is why the revolution was started... We are getting what we deserve though. Instead of getting rid of ridiculaously corrupt politicians, we'd rather sit complacantly in our own little worlds and ignore it. More folks are concerned with voting for American Idol than are concerned about the people we are paying to screw us over. Whats that Mr./Mrs. Politican? You would like me to hand over a few thou of my hard earnd money ot pay your salary, and then bend over and take it dry? Sure, n problem as long as I can be home before idol comes on!!!

This sickens me, I'm now officially in a bad mood, so I know dahoopd is a race car in the red about now...

Who was the other guy here that had a similar issue with being fined or cited, and ended up moving th ecar ot his back yard, and was sill hassled about it???

Sickening.

if you think your neighbor is junkig up your neighborhood, politely approach him about cleaning it up a bit; if you aint go the bawls to ask him yourslef, pack up and move yer sheeet. If you ask and he don't want to cleanup, then either get creative and motivate him to clean up, or pack up yer sheet and move. Their is no right to a clean neighbor's yard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys you have no idea how much this pisses me off. The damn thing is COVERED! The worst thing about it is the guy looked the car over and said " I can see that its in good shape" . I tried to explain to this knuckle head how much I love my car and would prefer it to be up and running now. I pointed out the LX I recently bought thats almost exactly like it. Would anyone really go out and buy the exact same car as what they have if it wasnt love. No they would buy a new one or a damn hoopty. Hell some of you have 4-6, thats love and dedication.

I am even anal to the point that I power wash under the car so the driveway isnt boogered up under it or dirt collecting around the tires.

The really sick part is that I rent an apartment in a house. The fine is imposed to the home owner. So now I have someone that I have known for 20 years that has never said a word about head gaskets being done, tranny install and everything else I have done in the driveway telling me I better fix this fine problem.

So you were told to move the car (which I assume is titled and was registered in your name that was on private property) but your landlord was given the fine? IF this is the case tell him he has nothing to worry about if it does go to court he just make you go as the claiment or what ever the term is.
What are the specifics of the fine, and who do you have to register you vehicles with and has there been insurance on it (I think this is actually where the fine is going)?

TwoToneThunder said:
it dosent have to be registered if its off the street

only if you cant see it. I know in south florida if Code Enforcement comes by and you have a car parked in your driveway with no tag you can be fined.

Luckily up here in GA they dont give a rats ~~~ about none of that

I'm guessing that this county person drives an F body....

and we al know what the F stands for. :D But seriously, that really blows man.

man that sucks! and i just put mine out in front of my RENTED house with a cover on it, but no tags... and on top of all that, my landlord HATES me! i wouldn't want to have to break out the eggs to a new mercedes...:eek:

Car

Here in my town....if the car is not being driven if you move it even once a week you're fine. If it's covered with a car cover or tarp, not much trouble there either.

$5400.00!!!!

I fail to understand your state and local laws.
1.)A cop CANNOT do anything but write a ticket right?:confused:
2.)A judge would actually have to impose a fine. Am i missing something here?:confused:
3.) Also you stated that YOU got the ticket, then I am to understand that it was brought to the attention of your landlord? Am I the only one missing something here?:confused:

Anyways, this pisses me off however it happened.:mad:

Blown 91 Bird said:
only if you cant see it. I know in south florida if Code Enforcement comes by and you have a car parked in your driveway with no tag you can be fined.

Luckily up here in GA they dont give a rats ~~~ about none of that

Out here if its on your property it doesnt need anything on it. Ive had cars in my driveway for months with no reggie and all.

That is complete BS fight with it. Its your property and you shall do what you like with it on your property

Get your tags updated and take it to court. Have rarely seen a judge impose such a strict fine for a unlicenced vehicle. I think they are just trying to scare people.

Friend of mine lives in the next town over and has all kinds of old cars that have been in the drivway for years. His mom just died and his dad is in failing health and not so long ago the cops showed up to ticket him for each car that didnt have currant plates. Someone complained, so they told him the fine was going to be like 5k or something. He went to court and it was all thrown out because he had proof of currant tags on all the cars. It still sucks because he wount be driving most of them, they dont have engines.:eek:

I would 1) get current tags on it, now, at any expense; and 2) go around and take pictures of other cars in your area that are either innoperable or have expired tags; then 3) go through the process of appealing the ticket.

It's most likely nothing to do with the police, you'll probably have to go before the town and appeal it that way. I'm sure you can get before a judge and most likely they will be lenient on you.

Believe me, I've been there, I know. It sucks to be in your shoes and $5400 is kerazy!

In some places (and I think you are in one of them) tags are also a way that the city gets property tax out of you. So not having current tags falls into the catagory of tax evasion. Just something to think about as far as where they might be coming from on this.

Anyway, I hope for the best for you on this. Man, I'd cry if that happened to me. :(

here in NC, a registered vehicle is taxed for property value 3 months after the registration date. If it's an unregistered vehicle, it's taxed at the first of the year, so either way, they are going to get there money.

Back