Rough Idle and Check Gauge light?

89psychobird

My 89 SC has had a slight stumble (or miss) at idle for a few months now. I just put in new Autolite double platinum plugs and new Taylor wires. This did not help at all.

Problem #2 - I have been getting an occasional CHECK GAUGE light. It happens when the car is at operating temperature and usually around 2000 RPMs when decelerating. When the light comes on, I have plenty of gas, the temp gauge is between N and R, and my oil pressure gauge is somewhere left of center. ~~~?

I pulled codes yesterday and got 11, 32. 32 is EGR valve not seated. I really hope I don't have to replace the EGR valve. A root canal would be more fun! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
vacumm leak? idk, if the EGR isnt seated right that could possibly be your problem. might have to pull it out and cheack it anyway.

I'm getting a similar problem. My car idles fine when cold, but when it gets warm, it will not idle and sometimes the CEL comes on. Tomorrow, I'm going to try a new pcv and check for vacuum leaks. For the egr valve, just for kicks you could try unhooking the vacuum line that goes to the top of it. You can plug the line with a golf tee (not even joking lol). Unplug the battery to clear the codes and check them again. Good luck man. I'll let you know what I find.

when I replaced my engine the EGR valve was full of carbon. I used carb cleaner to get rid of the carbon and once cleaned it would move with a litlle vacumn applied.

I agree that 1870's dental work would be preferable to removing that thing once the engine is in. But having said that, i did forget to bolt the EGR on (big ugly vacumn leak) and I don't have the smallest hands but i could bolt it back up. Though I don't have a clue how I'd get the connection to the manifold off. i'd suggest maybe unbolting it spraying in some carb cleaner until it loosens up.

Good luck!

sean

Back