painful for the front cover gasket replacement now,any help is welcome.

newbird

the coolant just poil leak from front cover gasket like crazy couple days ago...
and the master mechanic ask for 650 for labour and 250$ for new water pump and some how other 150bucks for repair:mad: just don't have that much $$$$...and decide to do it at home, but it is my first time to put my finger on any engines....

now,got the new water pump back from canadiantire,100 plus tax,and the gasket and seal will be home next monday.of couse, get lots of tools home...:confused:

and till now, i had already took apart the fan,the damper, the powersteering pump mounting ...and the big pain come to my face:the oil pan...

oh,my god, it is very hard to lowering hte oil pan from the bottom..y, didn't raise the engine or lower the subframe--i don't know if i have to do it--that wil be hard work for the new bird like me...
and now,i am just very confused for i have to do so or i can just lower the oil pan without move any other big parts.....really,what a pain....

so, i am here to ask for any idea from any friends here get such work done before,thank you everyone,any ideas is welcome....also on how to put the crank shaft damper back?and use the same bolt? and how to install the seal?i have to buy the special tool or some other easy way to do it?
thanks.

please help this guy get srewed up....

You don't have to drop the oil pan to take off the front cover. If you look at the picture i posted, the two bolts on the end/top don't go thru the oil pan into the block they just hold on the cover with the timing marks on it in place
As far as the damper do a search for "damper install" and you can find that out there.
I think the seal you kind of just tap around it until it seats fully.. use something to protect the seal itself from the tapping device, like a piece of wood.

I know you don't want to spend any more money than you have to but........ you need to check out the motor mounts while you have things pulled off the front.
If they are bad , you can tell by looking at them, and look at the last picture and you can see that the little tab sits high in the slot, that means they are good. If yours is sitting low riding on the bottom they are bad.
If you run with bad mounts you can wear a hole in the pan. Which is why my motor is pulled right now. When i bought this car the mounts were bad as well as head gaskets. I changed them both but the damage was already done to the pan. Which you have to pull the motor or drop the front end to get to it.
Check out the nice grove worn in the pan and the hole.
And another thing to check is the damper it's self.
If you take a look at it you can see that it actually two pieces with a rubber area between them check the rubber for cracks splits. if they are present you really need to replace it as well.

I know I know Welcome to the money pit called a "SUPERCOUPE"

Most important is the motor mounts in my opinion, (maybe because i just pilled my motor.) You have to do those or it can kill you down the road.

You gasket sealer on all the gaskets and torque everything down and you should be fine
Good Luck

and I'm sure you will get a few more people helping you as well.

Tony

Attachments

• 100_1718.jpg
    100_1718.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1722.jpg
    100_1722.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_1711.jpg
    100_1711.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_1723.jpg
    100_1723.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 116
oh..MG...

thank you,Tin-Knocker...

i just follow the step by step from thunderbird cd....and they talked about you HAVE to lower the oil pan otherwise it will leak....to unsrew all the small bolts for the oil pan is pain...and i did ....and now to tighten it will be other 1 hour tough job.....:mad:, since i have to wait till next monday to get the gasket from ford dealer, i will do it first.
right now i just take off water pump, and try to get off the front cover..lots of bolts,nuts,and studs...:confused: seems i had taken away all of them,but the front cover still not move,ok, i have to take a rest--y, i am here......still have to try for the cover off........
the motor mounting is good as check as your way.thankyou.
for the damper, i went to brafasco to get some bolts...and went to partsource and CT to check about the install tools,but the people of part source told me just use the bolt to tighten it in..then, take it out,put some sealent on and screw in again...y,for this bolt, i have to get other 22mm socket for it, i don't have in my set of master craft socket set......:eek:

the questions here is, when i try to tighten this bolt or even took it off,the shaft will rotate as well as i turn the screw...it is there a better way to stop the crank shaft to move when i turn the screw?

I remember reading a post a while ago ... and apparently there's a bolt thas almost always missed that hangs up alot of people. I'll see if i can find it for you. But don't try and pry it off just yet.

tony

There is a bolt that is a alen head, it is on the drivers side near the bottom of the cover near where the oil filter assembly is.

y, i had already removed that small one and also the water pump...
now there are three studs still on the front cover...don't know how to remove them ....any help?

Attachments

• P9240552.jpg_s.jpg
    P9240552.jpg_s.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 141
Try to use 2 of the nuts that came off of them, tighten them together on the stud, and then try to remove the stud by turning the inside nut. Don't put too much force on those studs as they will break easily. I would also spray some rust penetrant on the studs where they pass through the cover and let it sit for a little while.

well it's not resting on the bottom thats for sure. i would put a block of wood under the pan and jack it up and look if the motor mount is split in the middle. Better safe than sorry

tony

still get screwed

i took out the three stubs as you said,birds4us, but the cover still no move...even i use a block of wood and hammer it a little bit...any idea?

Tony, what do you mean put a block of wood there?what's that for?please give me a little detail?thx.

here is the pic,sorry, i can't take a nice one,too small there...

Attachments

• P9240562_s.jpg
    P9240562_s.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P9240561_s.jpg
    P9240561_s.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P9240558_s.jpg
    P9240558_s.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 111
  • P9240554_s.jpg
    P9240554_s.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 105
  • P9240559_s.jpg
    P9240559_s.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 121
Helpin Out

One thing I see that has you hung up is that the power steering bracket is still on top of your front timing cover , you will have to get it completely out of the way...........Also did you get the allen head bolt that is back behind the oil pump.....

:cool: loboy6 :cool:

How about a picture of the area around the oil pump, above and below. After that I can give you a few more tips.

loboy....

That is the area I'm trying to tell him about. He said he removed it already, but I would like to see for myself.

ok, got the cover off...the cover sticked by the gasket so hard...

but, questions here:
seems the old gasket is ugly and eveywhere, is there a easy to clean the surface? i hear of one can of can cleaner can do the job,can anybody named it?thanks

and the gasket between bottom of front cover and oil pan seems almost gone...my god...and there is no screw holding these two pieces...how can the seal work for keep the oil in?the sealar can do the job there??

To remove the gasket material, I use a scraper of some sort and scotch brite pad. For the black rubbery rtv residue that is left after scraping I use a brass bristle brush.

Back