Power Steering Pully

93SC

Is there anything special I need to know about pulling the power steering pulley? I have a pulley puller, but I don’t see anything holding the pulley on and I would rather not just try and yank the thing off and wreck something. All my manual says is to remove the pulley. Btw… I’m trying to get at the water pump to replace it. Thanks

The pulley is a friction fit on the shaft. The tool you have should wrap around the SHANK on the front of the pulley. It should not pull on the part of the pulley that the belt rides in at all.

Then there should be a threaded rod that presses on the nose of the P/S pump shaft. Turning a nut off, pulls on the SHANK on the front of the pulley pulling the unit off the car. Two wrenches are often needed one to turn the nut, the other to hold the bolt and thus the p/s pump shaft from turning.

The tools should have also come with a threaded rod that threads into the P/S shaft when you want to reinstall the pulley.

I bought a special puller

I finally broke down and bought a special puller from Snap-on that was special for the T-Bird.
When using it you need to take special notice of the travel of the center bolt as it lengthens it gets very close to the I/C rad.

Back