Oil Pressure loss at high RPM's

SCMakeiv

hey guys, ive got myself worried here. OK, so the motor is freshly rebuilt about 6-7k kms on it, new oil pump when rebuilt. The car is running a 5-30 mobile 1. I was driving my friend home in the late evening and gave it full throttle going up a hill and the check guages light came on, let off right away and suspected it to be the oil pressure. After i drove him home i gave it gas and kept an eye on the oil pressure guage, sure enough at about 4000 rpms the pressure falls and the check guages light comes on. I really dont like the sounds of this...:( I was running regular oil for about the first 5000 kms and recently switched to full synthetic about 3 weeks ago. Ive been into the high rpms many times since then and no problems until tonight. Let me know what you think, thanks.

SCMakeiv said:
hey guys, ive got myself worried here. OK, so the motor is freshly rebuilt about 6-7k kms on it, new oil pump when rebuilt. The car is running a 5-30 mobile 1. I was driving my friend home in the late evening and gave it full throttle going up a hill and the check guages light came on, let off right away and suspected it to be the oil pressure. After i drove him home i gave it gas and kept an eye on the oil pressure guage, sure enough at about 4000 rpms the pressure falls and the check guages light comes on. I really dont like the sounds of this...:( I was running regular oil for about the first 5000 kms and recently switched to full synthetic about 3 weeks ago. Ive been into the high rpms many times since then and no problems until tonight. Let me know what you think, thanks.

A loose connection on the wire that attaches to the oil pressure sender caused the same thing to happen on my SC. It's a push on connection and probably just needs to be crimped a little for a tighter fit, and reattached.

David

Thats pretty much the only answer i can find in the search function, is there pressure on that fitting or is it just because of a loose connection? because everytime i take it up to 4000 rpms or so it does it, accidentally kept on it after the light came on and the car shifted and oil pressure came back as soon as it shifted. Doesnt sound like something a loose connection would do, but when i got the motor back from being rebuilt the builder suggested that i replace the oil pressure sensor, but the replacement had already been wrenched on and was chewed up on the nut section...could it be bad?

Mine only did it at WOT above 4000 rpms too. Tighten the connection and if that doesn't work replace the sender. I'm 99% sure it's only the connection.

David

Back