How did YOU choose your exhauts system?

Ryan A Harris

I am planning during the winter to re-do my exhaust for a few reasons.

1. sound(I no longer like it)I realize this means I'm getting old
2. I have kooks mid lengths to bolt on
3. I would like something better ;)
4. 'cause I wanna

Anyway, how do you go about planning on building a system. I have really only bought someone elses system or had zero input when my 1st system was build for the car. I do want to keep the car street legal, so cats will be added, and EGr will be going back inot play(but thats not the point).

Currently I feel my exhaust aint that bad, I ported out the manifolds, then into 2-1/4 down tubes into a 3.00 X pipe out into 2 dynomax muffs. Its ok, I don't think my ehxauts has held me back in any way. Thats kirk Bryans old system(funny how I keep buying his "troubles").

mandel bending is not a big concern as the price may drive that out of my budget. Any sort of input of what you like and why would be great guys, thanks.

First... seriously shop around for the best guy to do the work. Any shop can cobble together an exhaust. A true professional will actually make a work of art. I suggest talking to the local guys who have dirt, oval, and road course cars and ask who they use. My guy back in Memphis did outlaw and stock car exhausts for 20 years before opeing his own shop.

After that, here's my formula for good sounding, good flowing exhaust:

a. Two 2.5" high flow cats
b. One 2.5" Dynomax X Flow resonator (dual exhaust), or magnaflow 2 in, 1 out if you have an early style tank.
c. Two 2.5" dynomax super turbo mufflers, like pn 17733 or 17734 (longer ones are available and may help quiet it down even more)
d. Lots of pipe.
e. Weld and enjoy!

Last edited:
i went to budget in burlington for a SS system - price and quality was good.

i went for a 2 1/4 to cats - to 2 1/2 to magnaflow resonator - out to 2 1/2 out to magnaflow mufflers

i was advised that going without resonator would make for too much noise - as it is, it still plenty loud ( ask Payton about x pipe vs resonator)

lately i replaced newer style gas tank and straightened out the kink in the exhaust going out to mufflers -

i basically copied what Ed Nicholson had ( except he has borlas ).
.... i have still to install ported exhaust manifolds....

dunno if that helps....

cheers

First, Ryan, you must look at what you currently have, what you will have and what you will need. You have to have some sort of plan.

With this I mean the entire car, although you can get by with looking mostly at the engine's needs .....

Are you going to need an exhaust capable of supporting 300, 400, maybe 500 horsepower? The needs here are very different. Bigger is not always better when it comes to exhaust.

Also, the car's intended useage is of great concern, more to some than others. You've got an SC, so you already have plenty of low-end torque - are those Kooks headers going to change this? If so - how? (questions you should be asking, not answering - unless you already know)

You mention budget - what is the budget? Is there room for future growth/improvement with this? There is no law out there that says you can't build an exhaust system in stages, right?

Pablo makes a great point in that there's a difference between a welder and an artist - in machinist language, think CNC operator - you can have a machinist or a button-pusher.

Sometimes you're forced to make compromises you don't want to - what might these compromises be? How much compromise will be in force?

Despite that we have very different engine's and exhaust needs the point remains the same - all of the above apply to both. When you answer these questions then you'll know what YOU need. ;)

BTW - I think what you have now is fine. Get the Kooks grafted in there, change the X-pipe to a resonator if you don't like it and the mufflers too, if you must. As far as i'm concerned you looking at an entire new exhaust is a lot of money for nothing, unless you're going to an AR. The important part is finding someone who will deal with what you have now and help turn it into what you want/need without being a hack about it. Then again, you might be better off starting from scratch. Price it out both ways to help decide.

I'm going to SCP (SuperCoupePerformance) to get their 2.5" dual setup done next year. The price includes installation if you go down there for a visit.
I figure it'll make the 5.0L sound more Mustangish.

I figure you should stick with the ported exhaust mainfolds and sell me those Kooks.

You got a decent system now.
Kooks are on the floor.
Install the Kooks without any other mods.
Try it for awhile.
Sound can't be forecasted. I've heard SC's sound like Grandma's sewing machine after 1500 dollars worth of exhaust work.
Ported mannys, downtubes, high flow cats and performance res/muffs is what Ford missed (on purpose according to some). You have all those already.

Bruce

Radlers said:
I'm going to SCP (SuperCoupePerformance) to get their 2.5" dual setup done next year. The price includes installation if you go down there for a visit.
I figure it'll make the 5.0L sound more Mustangish.
I have a 5.0 in my sc and my exhaust is 3 inch with free flow cats no resinator and flowmaster mufflers sounds like a mustang loud and proud:D

When I had the exhaust installed on mine, I did all the pre-installation background before anyone touched it. I purchased all the parts away from the shop( they couldnt match prices), made sure they did exactly what I asked, and went back 3-4 times to have minor imperfections rectified. HP (since I dont have any to speek of) wasnt a big concern, I just wanted to make sure everything that was supposed to be there, was still in place.
Good luck in your hunt. BTW, MAGNAFLOW rocks!!!!! The polished stainless will look so cool. BLING, KACHING$$$$$$$
http://www.magnaflow.com/

Just a note that I've been reading and listening (yes there are audible demos posted) on TCCOA's forums about the various systems out there. The prefab catbacks offered from Flowmaster and Dynomax, well... apparently suck if you're looking for a nice tone. They're considered stock replacement and that's that. Most folks have done as mentioned here and have combined pieces together to make their exhaust systems.

The SCP system is done up pretty much the same way, which is why I'm considering their offer.
They offer the true dual or the 2.5" dual to 3" single back out to 2.5" duals as well.

It's true, you can spend a tonne o' money and have a disappointing result with the wrong combination. Check out the forum threads on exhaust. Very interesting stuff.

I have a great shop near me in Georgetown that I like.

I just starting to get into exhaust pulses, how they can help or hinder you.

Will going to the header make a HP difference, maybe. But will they help to increase my average HP threw my power band, maybe. They are so cool, and not for sale, yet.:D

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

I found that and was readin threw it, not sure if all of that can be flipped onto a supercharged car, the artilce was talklin more about turbo set ups. But the theory of how headers work is the same. Also help to learn about muffs, and the rest.

I know there are a TON of exhuats threads on the board, almost too many to sort threw. I know I can improve on what I have on the car now, and help me out where I want the power.

Does anyone have few thoughts about how to choose a size of pipe?

Thanks for all your input so far guys.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/faq.html

sig.jpg

Ryan All I can say is Borla the sound is right on for an SC.
For the price you can find them at if you look around a little it makes it easy to SAY BORLA.

Ryan, what are your exact goals with the car? That's the biggest question I have.

Despite popular belief that they aren't worth the money, headers are a great thing to have. You will lose a little low end torque with them (mostly from opening up the exhaust), but you will broaden and flatten the curve over all. That should help you squeeze a few more ponies out up top, even on a stock mill.

Someone mentioned getting all the parts first, then having them installed. That's definitely a good idea and could save you a hundred or more dollars.

It's a good idea to keep the exhaust as open as possible coming off of the engine. After the resonator though, I'd say under 300rwhp you won't need anything larger than dual 2.25" pipes. Above 300rwhp, I'd use dual 2.5" all the way back.

Ok, I'm rambling now. Let us know what you decide on and howit sounds.

Jason Wild said:
Ryan All I can say is Borla the sound is right on for an SC.
For the price you can find them at if you look around a little it makes it easy to SAY BORLA.
I have heard quite a few SC exhausts and i ened up going with 2.5 all the way back featuring a magnaflow res and Borla pro Xs mufflers. The borlas give a wicked deep sound and still sound good when you floor it. I have a cam so mine may sound different than most but I love it.

I like the borla sound aswell and that is what is going to go on Nickeys 94 aswell.I'm just not sure wich ones yet as I would like to hears some different borla's then the ones on my XR7 because they are so dam big.But who knows maybe I will put the same ones on her's.The ones on the Cougar and on Sean's car are the Borla 40665's.:D My personal opinion with headers is if you are going to go with the AR eventually then sure go for headers but if you arent then you might aswell just stick with the ported exhaust manifolds.Either way the rest of the way you should go with down pipes ,high flow cats then an X pipe to keep the motor balanced out especially with the V-6 then duals all the way back into sweat Borla's then some tips out. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back