Abs Accumulator

Yes it does. I had to remove mine and it seemed like it was stuck, so I gave it a sharp wack on the top and it came out then.I confirmed that mine was bad when i shook it and i could feel fluid inside it.

Tony

Last edited:
I replaced my accumulator a few weeks ago. Used an allen socket with an extension to get it off, and it was on there pretty good. The new one just hand tightened. Good luck.

Depressurize!!!!

Key-Off pump the brake pedal until it becomes rock hard (about 25 pumps). These systems can hold pressure up to around 2600 psi, so releasing the pressure is a must....

Don't use too much force on the accumulator or the fitting on the pump may crack. Install the new one with a new O-Ring lubed with clean brake fluid and just get it hand tight (like an oil filter). Once installed, turn the KEY ON and add fluid to the reservoir as needed while the system is pressurizing. You may want to put the old accumulator in a coffee can because it will drain fluid for days....

Fluid in both good and bad accumulators

So if you take the accumulator off and it has fluid in it than it's bad? Should it have anything in it?

A good working accumulator will have fluid in it. There is a nitrogen gas bladder in the accumulator that gets compressed by the brake fluid as the pump charges the system. As the brakes are applied, the bladder expands and maintains the fluid pressure. When it is fully expanded, the pressure sensor/switch detects the drop in pressure and cycles the pump, which forces fluid into the accumulator and recompresses the bladder. Over time the nitrogen bladder will fail and no longer maintain pressure. A bad accumulator will cause the pump to cycle every time the brakes are applied resulting in pump failure due to overheating.

A bad accumulator will probably be completely full of fluid when removed (maybe about a pint) and will take a long time to drain because of the small opening in the fitting....

Back