What's wrong??

anotherfordman

I brought my '94 in for what appears to be a electrical "shut-down" of the motor when it reaches around 2000 RPMs (under load) and so far the Ford mechanics do not know what is wrong. When it acts up, the tach drops like a rock. As soon as you let off on the gas the motor seems to run fine until the RPMs get back up around 2000 (under load). Motor idles fine, nevers stalls completely, the CEL is not on, and apparently no code. This is strange, but for the record, it did the very same thing about two months ago, but after not driving it for a few days it stop acting up until now.

Last edited:
Welcome.
sounds to me like its starving for gas and shutting down.
We're having this problem right now but with a totally different vehicle.
Sounded familliar enough to mention though.
Obviously the computer is not getting the #'s it wants somewhere and is shutting the motor down.
I'd start with fuel delivery....simple stuff first....
good luck

paul

i doubt its the fuel pump,as it will not cause the tac to "drop like a rock". sounds like a crank sensor to me, i replaced mine a few months ago as i was having similar symtoms.

I heard somewhere that the eec will actually cut spark or fuel, not sure which if it thinks its getting too hot (250F or something) , have you checked your temp sender to the left of the blower lately?

Have they checked fuel /maf signal /tps /injector pulses /spark while it was "dieing"?
Just a thought, a video of what its doing would probly help alot.

Last edited:
Back