Head Gasket Replacement (what else should be replaced)

Seuss

Looks like my '89 needs new head gaskets as of a couple of nights ago. The car has about 103k miles and I believe these are the original gaskets. The car is running hot, fluid in the radiator doesn't appear to be moving while the engine is running, looks like it pushed coolant out the overflow, as I had streaks down the passenger side of the car, and the upper radiator hose seems to have a lot of pressure in it even with the engine cold. I saw no steam/water coming out of the exhaust and the oil still looks good, but I think the gaskets must be leaking.

What else should I go ahead and replace while it is apart, assuming the problem is the head gaskets? I am looking to fix or prevent anything else that is likely to crop up in the future, so I can drive the car more than a few days without something else breaking :D

I would replace thermostat, water pump, and oil pump. If you bought a BHJ balancer then you will prevent the balancer from breaking sometime down the road.

If the headgaskets are leaking, make sure to do the obvious things, like 02's and plugs. I would also recommend some ARP head studs.

Get the upper engine gasket set and change all ur upper gaskets, good time to change your heater hoses, do TONS of clean up, maybe if you have room do a motor mount swap if need be. Check out your injector tips and change/replace if necessary...i think the kit with pintle caps and O rings goes for like $3 bux per injector. Good time to fix your wiring harnesses whcih are probably falling appart at this point...put some wireloom and make ur engine bay look decent.

Oh and if you actually want to venture and do soem more work...light port on the heads, lower intake manifold and maybe inlet plenum and supercharger since they will be out.

Last edited:
Definitely check/replace motor mounts....it's 10x easier with the accessory brackets off the engine. 4cefed said - get new O2 sensors, if they aren't already screwed up, they will be before too long. Spark plugs are another thing, since they take several hours to do with a fully assembled engine. :rolleyes: We should make a head gasket shopping list or something! I was much more prepared on the second car I did.

This is exactly what I was hoping to get...a shopping list of things I should do while having the head gaskets replaced. Since I don't feel comfortable doing this type of repair, I figured I should go ahead and get other things done while I am paying for the labor to change the gaskets.

Should we get the list (when completed) posted as a FAQ?

ARP Cylinder Head Stud Kit
Felpro Upper Engine Gasket Set
Stock Height Solid Rubber Motor Mounts
Plugs and Wires
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Thermostat
O2 Sensors

Ok, does this look like a must have or wish list? In addition, I would have the mechanic check injectors and balancer.

Last edited:
If you can get it to me, I can have Dave put his mojo to work and have your SC up and running like new......

That sounds like the same problem that i had with mine, it was just a radiator being clogged, it ended up getting too hot and throw a conrod.
oh well.

Back