FINALLY picked up my car today...couple of quick questions.

HK416SC

Finally after a three week wait picked my 92 5spd. Couple of quick questions.

The Brake accumalator was supposedly done on the car, but on the highway after harder braking, I would see the ALB light come on intermittently. It would go off and then come back on again in a little while. Is this normal? This worries me.

Next question. Where would the temp gauge be sitting at WOT? Does it climb at all or is it my cooling system. I noticed after a 2nd gear WOT pull that the needle moved to a HAIR over the half way line, is this normal?

What thermostat would you guys recommend and which one? Ie, Ford, or aftermarket? I live in Toronto, 30 degree celcius is normal in the summer.

What oil would you guys recommend me using? The car has about 210000km on it (162000 miles?) I'm not sure if it burns any, I haven't had it long enough. Should I run full synth or semi synth, or regular dino oil? 20W50? 15W50? 10W30? Please advise on this one!!! :)

That's all for now, thanks very much for the help!!!! Very much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks, ronnie

From what I can tell....

The ABS light shouldn't be coming on after a few hard stops. This can indicate that you have a leaky Brake accumulator. As the leak gets bigger, the pump will be working more and more until you eventually burn out the brake pump.

Check to make sure your airdam is in place. I find that on the highway cruising at 75mph (120kph) the needle will be on the "N" of NORM.

Stomping it can bring the needle up to the "O" in NORM but the temp will quickly come down as airflow continues through the radiator.

Oil: this is very subjective. Do you know if the previous owner used synthetic? Chances are NO, you might not want to run synthetic since it tends to be slipprier and might slip past a seal or gasket thats IFFY much easier than regular oil would.

I would say in the summer time up in canada you should run 5W-30 oil I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic. Nothing else is better.

If you find that you "all of a sudden" have oil leaks, switch back to regular oil and get the leaks fixed. Also you might notice that if there is any significant engine wear, the engine might run rougher than with a thicker weight oil such as 20w-50. But that kind of wieght oil isn't the best for performance and economy.

Thanks!

Is there a way that I can test the brake accumalator?

The thermostat is what I'm also worried about.

I have always run Tri Synthetic in my cars, but this one, I'm not so sure about.

Make sure you pop over to the Super Coupe Club of Ontario. Most of the active members live in the Toronto area. There's a weekly meeting/get together this Thursday night, watch the board for details.
We also do much of our own work on our cars and there is a wealth of knowledge between us all.

Thanks guys.

Les- I will do my best to swing by. I need to do all the major tune up stuff this week, my exhaust and suspension by the end of the week. I'm taking the car to Thunder bay at the end of August and would like to work out all the bugs by then, if any.

I will watch the board for further details on the meet. :)

thanks, ronnie

Back