PDA

View Full Version : 91 5spd transmission

fortee5acp
09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
I am gauging interest on the 5spd i just pulled, I was told when I bought the car it was rebuilt, but I was skeptical at first, as the case looked dirty but the car had sat for sometime. Then I removed the inspection cover and freaked! All gears look brand new and appears to have brass blocking rings. If anyone who is interstested, or has the knowledge of rebuilt trannies and can give me an opinion on the gears, wants pics let me know and I'll e-mail. I probably won't ship this, but will meet someone around 100 miles from spartanbutg SC for expenses.

fortee5acp
09-28-2006, 06:32 PM
looking to get around $500 for this tranny, any interest???

matts_96_xr7
09-29-2006, 12:19 PM
YA, i kind of am interested if the transmission can handle about 550hp?

fortee5acp
09-29-2006, 02:08 PM
send me your e-mail, and I will send you pics of the internals, I don't know about 550hp, but I don't see getting that kind of tranny for $500

Black93sc
09-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Check these out for price comparisons:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Thunderbird-Supercoupe-SC-M5R2-5spd-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ00 4QQitemZ140028354131QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-THUNDERBIRD-5-SPEED-TRANSMISSION-GOOD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ003QQite mZ130031415842QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

looking to get around $500 for this tranny, any interest???

fortee5acp
09-30-2006, 04:39 PM
check out where the second gear synchro was toast, and the $99 dollar one has no top and the gears look cruddy! Mine is rebuilt, i have pics of the gears and new blockers, The cheapest I have seen a rebuilt is $800(plus core). I am open to
offers but I'm not going to give away a rebuilt trans for $1-200. I'll just hang on to it if it doesn't sell, and use it for a future project

matts_96_xr7
09-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey thanks for the price comparisons and all, but don't ever rain on a guys parade when he is trying to sell something. I as a buyer should have already checked on things like that and i as a buyer should know what i am getting into. Now if fortee5acp rips me off than i guess the buyer should deserve it! I am looking for a transmission that can withstand 550hp because i am thinking of dropping a FE 390 in my '96 cougar (Hoping for about 500hp) so i wouldn't buy anything but brand new or rebuilt anyway.

PS: my e-mail is [email protected]

Black93sc
09-30-2006, 07:11 PM
That's cool, man. I think your's is worth more than a couple hundered bucks too, but $500 seems a bit steep.

Keep in mind the one that needed a synchro came with all the 5 speed conversion parts, which usually are in high demand around here.

check out where the second gear synchro was toast, and the $99 dollar one has no top and the gears look cruddy! Mine is rebuilt, i have pics of the gears and new blockers, The cheapest I have seen a rebuilt is $800(plus core). I am open to
offers but I'm not going to give away a rebuilt trans for $1-200. I'll just hang on to it if it doesn't sell, and use it for a future project

Black93sc
09-30-2006, 07:14 PM
These things couldn't handle 500 hp. I have a 390 GT '69 mach 1 and toyed with the idea of a t-5 or something, but the only way to go is a good old toploader or a TKO. The toploaders are really hard to beat in terms of strength. Its nice to have to OD though if you do a lot of crusising. Also, the bellhousing is cast to the case on these tbird trannies so it wouldn't bolt up to a 390/428/427 without serious mods.

Hey thanks for the price comparisons and all, but don't ever rain on a guys parade when he is trying to sell something. I as a buyer should have already checked on things like that and i as a buyer should know what i am getting into. Now if fortee5acp rips me off than i guess the buyer should deserve it! I am looking for a transmission that can withstand 550hp because i am thinking of dropping a FE 390 in my '96 cougar (Hoping for about 500hp) so i wouldn't buy anything but brand new or rebuilt anyway.

PS: my e-mail is [email protected]

fortee5acp
09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I would probably do the whole package, for the right price, I have everything for it, just thought mine would make a nice upgrade for a stock 5 spd, If I still have it at the end of Jan its going in a 5.0 bird:D

matts_96_xr7
10-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Old toploader or TKO huh? Well that makes prices alittle more steep! Thanks anyway fortee5acp but i just asked the head michanic at my local shop, and he said that even though it was rebuilt it probably wouldn't be able to handle 500hp! :( Sorry to break your heart but it looks like i have to go with a "TKO" since i do do a lot of cruising!

PS: Thanks anyway!

Black93sc
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
I've bought good used toploaders for $400. Infact, the one that was in my mach 1 when I had a 351W in it came out of a '73 Cougar. Toploaders are not expensive if you search patiently and know how to examine one for wear.

Old toploader or TKO huh? Well that makes prices alittle more steep! Thanks anyway fortee5acp but i just asked the head michanic at my local shop, and he said that even though it was rebuilt it probably wouldn't be able to handle 500hp! :( Sorry to break your heart but it looks like i have to go with a "TKO" since i do do a lot of cruising!

matts_96_xr7
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Well hate to tell you but i don't exactly know how to tell if one is good or not. Plus i don't think i want an old transmission in my car because i am going to need a shorter throw then what them oldies had! (Remember i have a '96 Cougar) Plus there is alot of stuff on the internet for TKO's!

Black93sc
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
If you've got the budget, go with the TKO. I usually run toploaders because I find them at good prices and I know they're extremely strong.

Well hate to tell you but i don't exactly know how to tell if one is good or not. Plus i don't think i want an old transmission in my car because i am going to need a shorter throw then what them oldies had! (Remember i have a '96 Cougar) Plus there is alot of stuff on the internet for TKO's!

mc94xr7
10-16-2006, 12:02 PM
you got:eek:?

XR7 Dave
10-16-2006, 12:37 PM

That's what you get for asking "your mechanic". I run over 500hp in mine including clutch dumps on slicks. ;) They aren't rated for over 500hp but unless you put nitrous or a blower on that 390 it isn't going to make the M5R2 sweat.

But then again, you mechanic surely knew that it wouldn't bolt up anyway seeing as it's a SBF bellhousing. ;)

93bird
03-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Still have the tranny? What city/state are you in?