Spun bearing?

JiggaJake

Driving my 92 SC 5 speed, shift from 1st into 2nd at about 3500 / 4000 RPM and all of a sudden I have almost zero power. Car trys to stall but I keep in 2nd and pull into gas station. Thought was just low on gas so I put in 20$ or was hot. I pull out and 1st gear fells like 3rd! No power and can't get rpms much past 2000 / 3000. I only had about 1/4 to my apt so I drove home in 2nd almost stalling every time I had to break.

Once parked, I hear a knocking sound not very load that sounds like from the IC lower block. I read a few posts and it seems like it could be a spun bearing but I am not sure. I am going to take my car to a shop come monday. I am posting to see how much this will cost to fix roughly? Or is it worth just getting a motor for like $500 and dropping it in if the bearing is broke. Thanks!

Sad because I just put 700 into a new tranny :(

Need more info...

might be a spun bearing, but I have never expirenced one....some of the other might have.

I had the same problem(similar to), and it needed a DIS module...

Also a spun bearing can cause big problems if it happens during acceleration, did oil pressuer change or spike?

Spun

I spun bearing will give you a steady knock, but I have never heard one cause the car to loose much power.

My first and hopefully only, spun bearing was in an 85' Mercury Grand Marquis with a 302.

:( ya I agree with 442 guy, if its got no power allva sudden you probably have a broken balancer....:(

Back