Best Spark plugs? Conductivity, burn temp, etc?

The_Ghost

I did a search first and didn't find anything in specific.. I'm sure it's been beaten to death but here it goes again:

From my understanding, the Bosch platinum plugs disintegrate, or have disintegrated in other people's motors.

I understand that double-platinum is the way to go, but what about iridium?
what

What brand is best to use for the SC?
Motorcraft Double Platinums? NGK Iridium?

There are so many choices it's hard to decide on what to go with.

What plugs are you guys using, what do you recommend and why?

What method do you use to get at the plugs?

(those plugs were enough of a bastard on an NA splitport 3.8-- i can only imagine the horror of doing them on the SC)

If needed, here's bg on the car and my plans for it:
currently stock w/only magnaflow resonator, waiting to get an s-port blower installed and possibly overdrive the pulley. If I do this, the car will see high-flow cats, or cat deletes, both of which will be rigged to eliminate the 90* bend. I will probably never achieve 300hp, but I would be more than happy with 230-250. It is a manual trans 1990 SC, 193k, but runs good. The car also runs very cool, but I do get a lot of ping here in CA, but it's been a lot better since I did the hi-speed fan mod. Since it wasn't working, I also removed the AC condenser to further reduce temps-- no real mods have been done to the car.

Thanks,
Ghost

best spark plug IMO are the autolite copper 764 for a stock to mild sc and 103 for a heavily modded one.if you dont mind changing them often that is, cuz they wear out much faster than platinum or iridium.coppers are less prone to detonation which is a real problem with the sc, and has resulted in many blown headgaskets, im still on the original headgaskets at 176k miles .if you're getting alot of ping, you will probably blow your headgaskets sooner rather than later.you might want to remove the octane plug to be on the safe side until you figure out why you're pinging.

Last edited:
well, i dont want to change them frequently.

i'm pinging because the 91 octane here sucks-- see my topic about that "what octane is the sc set up for".
It goes away when I add lucas octane booster.

Last edited:
The_Ghost said:
well, i dont want to change them frequently.

i'm pinging because the 91 octane here sucks-- see my topic about that "what octane is the sc set up for".
It goes away when I add lucas octane booster.
id bet theres more to it than that.91 octane should be enough so that you dont ping if everything else is fine.

nope, all the other socal SC guys get ping using standard pump gas due to it being hot around here. I havent had a lot of it since I switched over and did the rad fan mod,

but it doesnt matter now because some bastard stole my SC.

Back